Dr. Pepper BBQ Sauce

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a post from Lee Fraser, a.k.a. QSis on the BBQ Forum, for a BBQ sauce using Dr. Pepper, my favorite soft drink! Enjoy.

Still messing around, trying to get a good chicken entry.

This weekend, I tried a Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce, which was very sweet and mild, pinkish and thin, a lot like French dressing. Good for kids and non-chili heads, especially for a table sauce. I've copied it below.

Lee

DPQ SAUCE
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>2-1/2 cups Dr Pepper
<LI>1/2 cup oil
<LI>1/2 cup lemon juice
<LI>1 cup catsup
<LI>1 teaspoon garlic powder
<LI>1/4 cup dry minced onion
<LI>2 teaspoons salt
<LI>1 teaspoon pepper
<LI>1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper or red pepper sauce
<LI>1 teaspoon basil
[/list]

Blend together on stir speed of blender for 2 minutes (Lee's note: start blender on LOW, first! I'm still wiping spots off the ceiling!) Store in tightly sealed container and refrigerate. Shake well before using. Will keep for several weeks in refrigerator.
Yield: 4-1/2 cups

Hey Chris I used Dr Pepper in a crock-pot with a potroast with some 5 spice powder and a bit of liquid smoke and left it there on low for about 5hrs. Then took the meat out and shredded it. Poured out the juice and put it in a sauce pan and simmered it for a while to reduce it some. Let it sit overnight then put everything back in the crock for a few hrs with a bit of cayenne pepper sauce just to kick it a bit and it turned into some of the best sandwichs I've had in awhile!

Belly Maynard, from Texas had a Dr Pepper Brisket Marinade that some swear by I'll see if I can find and post it.
Jim

Here it is Jim!

Dr. Pepper Marinade for Brisket

1 cup Dr. Pepper(NOT diet)
1/4 cup Soy sauce, dark
1/4 cup Lime juice
1 1/2 cup(s) Oil
1 teaspoon Hot sauce

PREPARATION:
Mix all and marinade beef overnight.

Stogie

Stogie,
I have been using your Dr. Pepper marinade for my brisket for several months now and while I have no ribbons, I do have the undying loyalty of my neighbors, who all look forward to my brisket leftovers after a competition.

In fact, they are using the marinade on just about anything beef, from steak to roasts.

I'm like Jim, looking more like a full packer cut brisket rather than a flat. Definitely not a flat.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Dale

When applying the Dr Pepper marinade for the brisket, do you apply a rub before the cook? What sort of rub would you apply? I am thinking about trying this recipe for a Fri or Sat night cook.

Thanks
Jeff

if you use the Dr. Pepper marinade for brisket should you pat it dry and put a rub on it before putting it on the smoker? I was thinking, onion powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, pepper, salt for basic rub. would this be ok?

Back