Chili Powder Recipe

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
Hi All,

I borrowed Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue book from my local library and it got me interested in blending my own chili powder among other recipes. Last night I blended the following from Kevin K (2006?)because I wasn't a fan of Kirk's cumin addition:

3 parts ground guajillo
1 part each ground cascabel
1 part ground ancho
1/2 part granulated onion
1/2 part granulated garlic
1/2 part thyme
1/4 part marjoram

I did a taste test against my supermarket Chili Powder and was pretty happy with the above. There was a distinct difference in taste but my thoughts are that Chili Powder should have a more distinct chile taste than the more neutral taste of the supermarket blend. I didn't really notice the lack of cumin but I'm sure I can add that separately to taste.

Kevin - I know you eschew salts in your rubs and cumin in some BBQ instances but I can see why the supermarket blend is easier when most don't have the time or ingredients to blend their own. Suffice it to say, your blend is in a bag in my spice repertoire and ready for my next requirement.

Sidenote - When blending chiles in a spice grinder, don't try and blow residual powder out of said grinder. I tasted chiles all night and, even better, while chewing gum all morning
icon_smile.gif

Back