Salt equalization & bacon

Monty House

TVWBB Pro
Does anyone rinse bacon after, say, a 7 day cure, then let sit in fridge for at least two more days for salt levels to equalize throughout?

I saw something about this in the Morton 32-page curing handbook.

Seems to make sense for a long cure product, like a ham, but I'm scratching my head re: the need for bacon.

When I use an equalization cure I measure the desired salt weight as a % of the meat weight, let it cure for a long period, and then just briefly rinse the surface before I take any next steps.

For example if I have a 2 kg slab of pork belly, I like my bacon to be at 3% salt (personal preference but it's pretty standard), so I add 60g salt to the pork belly along with other cure ingredients (scaled to the salt measurement).

I let that cure for 10 or more days, overhauling periodically. Then when it's firm and done curing I rinse the surface, dry it on a rack in the fridge, and apply my surface seasoning (usually black pepper) before smoking.

The salt has been equalizing throughout the cure period. Two additional days won't hurt anything but it probably isn't necessary.

The 12 to 24-hour drying period for pellicle formation after curing and rinsing, however, does make a significant difference.

There is not much left to say, really. I use the same approach as Dave. Works like a charm every time.

One small note on the drying period- if you have access to a larger space than a fridge, like let's say a whole room, like I have during the winter, where the temperature is 40 degrees F, it works so much better than a fridge. No condensation problems.

You do not tell us where you live. If it is Montana, it can be a good tipF Florida, not so relevant.

I use the same approach as Dave and Geir, and have had good success. For what it's worth, I didn't understand why until now. Hopefully Santa has a charcuterie book on his sleigh for me!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Monty House:
Does anyone rinse bacon after, say, a 7 day cure, then let sit in fridge for at least two more days for salt levels to equalize throughout?

I saw something about this in the Morton 32-page curing handbook.

Seems to make sense for a long cure product, like a ham, but I'm scratching my head re: the need for bacon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I get my maple sugar cure from AlliedKenco, a sponsor at this website. My bacon is allowed to cure for up to 20 days followed by a slight rinse. Then it's allowed to sit for 24 hours in order to dry. Then, I spend the whole day smoking the slabs.

Back