HELP! 6- to 8-lb Mortadella for Xmas - Need Recipes!

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
We received a 6- to 8-pound Mortadella for Christmas.
icon_eek.gif

Can anyone suggest some uses for it besides sandwiches? I'm more interested in something I can use for meals if possible, but any ideas will be welcome.

Seared or grilled with....??? Saute with....???

Rita

Another vote for Muffulettas. And don't even *think* about calling them sandwiches; calling a Muff a sandwich is like calling a warm, greasy piece of cardboard a pizza
icon_razz.gif

Slice a couple thick (.5-inch) disks off, then quarter as if a pie. Grill direct, on an oiled grate. Plate, overlapping, with a spoon of mostarda alongside. A little pile of baby greens tossed in hazelnut oil and balsamico is a nice accompaniment.

Chopped some mortadella coarsely. Combine with an equal amount of grated fontina, provolone, smoked mozz, or smoked Gouda (or a combo), and an equal amount of marinated artichoke hearts from a jar, chopped as well. Mix to blend well. Use this mixture as the filling for a grilled cheese sandwich.

Saute 'sticks' of the mort with sliced shallots; add butter and slivered sage leaves. Toss with freshly cooked pasta.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
We received an 8-pound Mortadella for Christmas.
icon_eek.gif

Can anyone suggest some uses for it besides sandwiches? I'm more interested in something I can use for meals if possible, but any ideas will be welcome.

Seared or grilled with....??? Saute with....???

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Borrow someone's teenage boy for a weekend.

This is from an Italian cookbook of mine.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">CULINARY USES
Mortadella is usually thinly sliced and eaten cold, either in a sandwich or as part of a plate of assorted meats as an antipasto. It can also be cubed and stirred into risotti or pasta sauces just before the end of cooking, or finely chopped to make an excellent stuffing for poultry or filled pasta. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow! Thanks everyone!

Pasta, pizza, risotto, and more...A bonanza of great ideas! I might have to order some more mortadella.

Anyone have an authentic recipe for Muffuletta bread?

This group is the BEST!
Rita

Muffuletta Bread Recipe

1 Cup Warm Water (110 degrees F)
1 Tbsp Active Dry Yeast
1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Bread Flour
1 1/2 tsp Iodized Salt
2 Tbsp Lard or Vegetable Shortening
Sesame Seeds
3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

For the Egg Wash:
1 Egg
2 Tbsp Cold Water

Combine the water, yeast and sugar in the workbowl of a stand mixer, stir well and let stand for 5-10 minutes or until good and foamy. Meanwhile, combine the flours, salt, and lard in a bowl and work in the fat with your hands until broken up into very small pieces. When the yeast is foamy, fit the mixer with a dough hook attachment and gradually add the flour on low speed until its all incorporated. Scrape the sides down between additions. When the dough comes together, turn it onto a floured work surface and knead until smooth and elastic, 5-10 minutes, adding more flour if necessary.. Alternatively, you can let the machine do the work, but for me, bread is a touch thing. Coat a large bowl with the Olive Oil, then put the dough in, turning once to coat both sides. Cover loosely with a clean dry towel, or plastic wrap. Let the dough rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1-1/2 hours. Punch the dough down and shape into a flat round about 9 inches across (it will expand to about 10?.) Place the dough on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Sprinkle the top with sesame seeds, about 2-3 Tbsp should do it, then press them lightly into the dough. Loosely cover the loaf and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour. When the dough has risen, remove the cover, gently brush with the egg wash then gently place into a preheated 425 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Turn the heat down to 375 degrees F for an additional 25 minutes or until it’s golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.

Makes 1 Muffuletta Loaf.

Jim, did you mix the mortadella with something like spinach as the ravioli filling? That sounds like a good combination.

Paul, I get "album not found" when I click on the link.

Rita

I'll have to check tonight when I get home but I beleive it was the one with arugula, ricotta & some fontina.

Back