Chicken Fried Bacon

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
Used to be a link on here to the You Tube video of this. This is wrong in so many ways, but here's the recipe. You all know I'll be making it. I'm not sure anything could be better than this, since bacon is my favorite food group.
icon_biggrin.gif

Chicken Fried Bacon With Cream/Cowboy Gravy

Recipe:

Bacon - it's the icecream of the meat world, high in Vitamin-G (grease) and bound to make the food police crazy! This side of fat douple-dipped in fat then fried in fat & served with a side of fat (cream gravy) recipe comes from Sodolak's Original Country Inn restaurant in Snook, Texas. Cream gravy is my own recipe. I do not admit to ever making fried bacon so prep time is a guesstimate
icon_wink.gif

30 min | 30 min prep | SERVES 6 Fried Bacon

1 lb thick sliced bacon, cut in half
1 egg
1/2 cream or half & half
1 cup flour EDIT: 1/2 cup was nowhere near enough
spices EDIT: I used Tony C's cajun seasoning, garlic and onion granules, fresh ground pepper
oil for frying, Lard

Cream/Cowboy Gravy

3 tablespoons drippings or butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons heavy cream (whipping)
salt and pepper, heavy on the pepper

Heat oil in a frying pan over med-high heat to 325 max temp.
Whisk egg and milk together in a bowl.
Place flour in another bowl - season it if you'd like (garlic, pepper, salt, lemon, cajun, etc.).
Double dip - first in the egg mixture, then into the flour and repeat.
Fry in oil until golden brown, turning once or twice.
Serve with cream gravy for dipping; also good served with steak. Or on top of cheese burgers, and meatloaf.

To make the cream/cowboy gravy:
Put drippings or butter in a sauce pan over med-high heat. Whisk in the flour until well blended; cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, until bubbly. Remove from heat and gradually add milk whisking constantly; return to heat & whisk until the gravy thickens; Whisk in the cream, salt & pepper.

I made this tonight and it was fantastic. Here's some pics.
icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: I left out the best part. The bacon was deep fried in Lard.
icon_wink.gif

chickenfriedbacon001.jpg

chickenfriedbacon002.jpg

This takes comfort food to a whole new level. It's just so good, really it is. Give it a go people. One time won't kill you.
icon_biggrin.gif

Made it again this past Thursday for dinner. It really does take the phrase "comfort food" to a whole new level. I made a side dish of cream gravy again.
icon_biggrin.gif

chickenfriedbacon.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> One time won't kill you.
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, but this is 2 times in a month! Are you still breathing?
icon_eek.gif
Someone needs to hook up with a bacon 12 step program
icon_biggrin.gif
!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan Rice:
Bacon crack. That what this should be called!
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen - there's a cholesterol bomb. Give me some!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dale Perry:
Dang Bryan, you know id eat that! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Dale, You so have to try this.
icon_smile.gif

Back