w.r. case & sons kitchen knives

Corey Elks

TVWBB All-Star
just got a set of w.r. case & sons kitchen knives in a open wooden box to store in a kitchen drawer. The box and knives all look to be in mint condition never used. No steak knives just prep knives. Total 6. this set is over 50 years old. My question is should i put these into service or keep as is. I dont know if they are worth anything or not. thanks

Sure they are worth something if they are mint.....especially to a collector.Personally i use all the knives i have.Have carried a case yellow handle stockman in my pocket for years,have plenty to choose from,but its my go to carry knife.I'm sure if you put those knives on e-bay you may be surprised at what some people would pay for them.If it were me-i would turn em into users....Richard

I don't know anything of these knives, but I just begun research into older knives. One opinion made sense: technology in terms of steel alloys and tempering processes has improved so much in recent years that older knives don't really stack up.

I don't know how this would pertain to a 50 year old knife, as I think the opinion was geared more towards antiques, but it something to think about. If they are mint, and might be troublesome to maintain, it might pay to keep them mint.

I live about 18 miles from the Case plant and museum and believe me I have seen collectors pay big bucks for some of their knives no longer made at the yearly gathering. You may want to check into this site and see if you can search out the set.
Look at what is marked on the blade to go deeper in your search.

http://www.wrcase.com/about_case/zippo-case/

I have one pocket knife that was only made one year and I now have that in a vacuum sealed bag with instructions and will be handed down to a grandchild. LOL

This is just a suggestion ofcourse.

Back