Basic Self-Basting Turkey

So as i have said in other topics i am going to try a Turkey for Christmas this year. I was going to follow the basic Self-Basting Turkey guide under cooking topics for beginners.

The problem was that i wanted to find a Turkey that was 12 - 14 lbs. I couldn't find one that was on sale in that range. I ended up find a 17lbs turkey. I have seen other put Turkeys on the WSM that were 20lbs so i don't think i'll have an issue fitting the 17lbs turkey. Should i worry about anything other than adding extra time to the guide? I would assume its just going to take about 1 hour to 1 and half hours longer.

The guide also talks about not worrying about temp, but should i be shooting for around 300 degrees?

Also sorry for all the questions but i have never used a thermometer to cook with before and i am getting a E732 to use for this cook. Do i just stick it in the breast meat during the cook?

Thanks again for all your help.

Mike, I did a 14lb turkey for Thansgiving and it took approx. 3.5 hrs. I was not able to get it up to the 325 degree range but it did turn out excellent! Wasn't a huge fan of the skin, but I attribute that to the lower temps (275-320). Again, it still turned out great and was a huge crowd pleaser. Unlike the self-basting that you are using, I did the Jack Daniels Brine, which is located on this site and dried in the fridge for 12 hrs. I am doing a 18lb bird this Christmas, I liked it that much!

IMO, shooting for the 300 degree temp (or hotter) is good.

I used the same thermometer and placed it in the bird (breast) for the entire time...just make sure it is in the thickest portion and not touching bone. You'll do just fine! I am, by NO means, an experienced/expert smoker, but have used the kettle for some time now. Just watch your internal temps and intuition, it'll go just fine, I bet! Good luck.

and not to change the subject...if you are planning on gravy, I would highly recommend sticking a tin pan under that bird to catch the drippings to use for the gravy. All I can say is "wow". If no gravy, don't worry about it
icon_wink.gif

I suppose you could, but it would be closer to the heat source. I used a tin pan on the second grate directly under the bird. In the pan, I added chicken stock, celery, a little onion, carrots, the giblets and a bit of salt and pepper. When I took the bird out, I also took the pan of drippings out and made gravy while letting the turkey rest for 30-45mins.

My thoughts about not using the water pan was because I did not want the drippings to "fry". For my gravy, the contents of the drippings with the ingredients listed, is an excellent begining for a roux. I need "liquid" and not "fried" drippings. But, I am not speaking from experience...give it a go!

I used about 3/4 of the boxed chicken stock, and added the contents above. It will catch all the great drippings and mesh all your ingredients together. Then when it's done, yes, flour or corn starch and flavor to taste, mix to consistency for thicker or thinner gravy. You may need to have another box of chicken stock handy...just in case.

I also forgot to mention that I season the cavity of the bird with pepper, sage and a little salt...then, I insert a pierced whole orange or lemon, celery stocks and a couple carrots. If you go to the Jack Daniels Brine on this site, it'll give you some great ideas or stick to what you and yours enjoy!

Boy has it been a long time! I think I've only had the WSM out once this year due to lack of time. I'm doing 2 turkeys today (12lb. & 14lb.) for a family Christmas get together. Since I got the turkeys on sale CHEAP before thanksgiving, they are the enhanced type, so I did not brine, I did apply a basic rub. 1/2 hour in running about 300 degrees so we'll see how it goes!

I plan to foil and rest it in cooler when done until the rest of the meal is ready.

Hey Mike, I did a 17 lb Butterball last weekend on my WSM over a clay saucer. Temps around 300, smoked with applewood. It took about 4 hours beer can style without the can. I have a Maverick and I used the probe placing it deep into the thigh. It should reach 170 there before you pull the bird. I let it rest for about 20 minutes before carving. If you catch drippings you need an airspace under your drip pan so the drippings don't burn. I also use carrot water for my gravy. It adds a lot of flavor. Personally I really like the Simon & Garfunkle rub by Meathead for poultry.

Back