What to pair with this sauce?

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I really want to make Kevin's spicy banana ketchup, but instead of fries, I'm thinking of something more along the line of grilled meat or pork egg roll. I'm trying to present a dish for a super bowl party that could be a finger food but doesn't have to be. Sure I could do a wing for dipping, but want to do something a little different. The ketchup looks delicious, and I thought could be paired with other items. I have a nice pork loin that could be used. Perhaps cut it in half and grill (with a nice rub) to yield more exposed surface? Then slice it into strips before serving? Would small pork egg rolls work? You get crunch, veggie and pork and are great for dipping. Any other ideas?

Late edit; I plan on making the ketchup tonight as I have not tasted it before. I think after tasting I'll be able to come up with some combos more easily. Just picked up some sumac and srirachi this morning.

Thanks,

Paul

This banana ketchup is awesome! I like your idea more on the spring roll line. The banana flavor really comes through, as well it is very sweet and has a bit of a spicy kick. It is also fairly thick.

I think the crunch and saltiness of the spring rolls would be a good choice. Personally I wouldn't go the grilling the pork loin route. Maybe slice it then bread and fry? If you go the grilled route I would definately go with some strong rub flavors.

Some other ideas that I personally think would be good are:

Deep fried rice and cheese balls
Fried wontons
A Fattie
Meatballs

Hope something from this helps a little!

Clark

Thanks Clark,

On a whim, I did mix up some meatballs tonight and tried those with the sauce. They were good. I also had some small frozen egg rolls which I fried up; and I think they were even better. That got me to thinking that pot stickers might be another option...

Yes, my version of Kevin's sauce came out somewhat thick and I thinned it out with water. After first tasting it, I found my version lacking in some area, and as an after thought added some Asian plum sauce to a small amount of of the ketchup. It helped, and then it dawned on me; I think the bananas I used were not quite ripe enough. As you stated, and as the recipe provides; 3 ripe bananas should provide a fruity, sweet, creamy attribute. However my initial product didn't yield much of a banana flavor. And when I went searching for a sweet fruit additive, that's when it hit me. I may try to add more banana to the existing mixture or just start over. It's a very interesting sauce with a somewhat complex range of flavors. Too be continued...

Paul

Back