Steak knives....any recommendations?

Dom R

TVWBB Super Fan
I have a terrible set of Henckles steak knives that are more adequate for cutting branches off a tree than our steak because they are so serrated. They tear and rip our steaks apart so they need to go.

I have a few Global knives and I really like them a lot and I did see that they have steak knives too. Anyone here have any globals or want to comment on their steak knives?
Also, do you prefer Japanese blades or German knives?

I have had a set of wooden handled Chicago Cutlery steak knives, non-serrated, for over 30 years. I sharpen them before each use and they still are my favorite. We have another set of Chicago Cutlery - the thick ones with a serrated blade - that I never use. Whenever my wife sets the table for any meat dish that needs cutting, she puts one of the old knives out for me and the others out for other folks. Serrated knives, in my opinion, shred or rip the meat rather than cut it smoothly.

Pat

not sure what the global steak knives are like, but it they are anything like the global paring knife I had I'd stay away. I wasn't a fan of the flat metal handle.

I've never owned a set, but laguiole knives have always intrigued me

Laguiole are my favorites. I have several sets.

what does one look for? its referred to as a style rather than a brand and now that China is in the game, knockoffs are reportedly common.

Well, ones that aren't from China. Even still, those from France are not all created equal and one needs to see for oneself - and possibly return them and try another if not happy with the purchase. One can read reviews first too.

I have a couple < $100 sets that have done me very well, and a couple that cost significantly more. Though there is a quality difference between the two it's not dramatic at all. Reading current reviews of the less expensive sets, as I just did moments ago, it seems apparent that there are less expensive sets not worth buying - at least if one gives weight to the negatives which in some cases seems unwarranted, others worthwhile.

Side note: I have several Globals I like very much - but I've not tried their steak knives.

Kevin, what do you look for in a good steak knife?
Unlike a chef's or a pairing knife, for steaks I think how it feels in your hand is not quite as important as the blade since all it is used for is cutting meat.
Do you prefer a slight serrated edge or non serrated?

I like both.

I agree that hand-feel is not quite as important, though it still has weight. (I took a Des Moines chef-owner to task for serving cheap-o large-handled knives at his fine dining establishment a few years back. Were the knives large-handled and not so cheap I would have yet been annoyed.)

I look for a knife that will ultimately do the job, either finely serrated or smooth, that is neither large-handled or -bladed, that will work visually well on the table.

I might be near W-S later and I believe they carry the Globals. I'll check them out (I dislike the flat handle of the paring as well. Not sure what the steak knives handles are like) and any others they have. I also need to go to BB&B and I'll see what they have. All the Laguiole knives I have I bought on line.

I've had a set of Chicago Cutlery knives for several years. They aren't the prettiest knives (all metal), but I can put them in the dish washer and they're very easy to sharpen. They're non-serrated and single beveled. I can easily touch them up on my diamond and water stones.

About 2 years ago, we bought a set of (4) Wusthoff Classic Steak Knives.

They match our kitchen set and there were slots for them in our knife block.

I have been very happy with them so far. They hold an edge quite well (when cutting on plates, whatever you use is going to dull relatively quickly, but they only get used for steaks and small utility-cutting jobs). These have a smootch edge, but when I sharpen them, I only go down to about 350-500 grit wet stones, so that the edge has just a little "grab" so that it bites-in and starts cutting/slicing easily.

At some steak-joints that I've been to, the knives I've seen (didn't note brands) that I liked had heavier, short handles and a relatively short blade - similar to a "drop-point" hunting knife. A Blade-length of about 3-inches is all that's needed, and is actually easier to control than a longer blade (plus, less clumsy when your guests need elbow-room at the table). Again, smooth edge, not serrated.

Come to think of it - I would bet that a set of decent, mid-price hunting knives would make a great set of steak knives. Some have really beautiful or plain but functional handles.

I think the only way to truly buy a set that works for you is to try it out first. I may just buy several sets from a reputable store with a great return policy and return the sets I dislike.

I'm a little turned off by the Henckles and the globals are more than I'd be willing to spend. The Laguiole knives look really nice and are reasonably priced but they look a bit too delicate and fine dining.

Thanks for all your comments.

but they look a bit too delicate and fine dining.
Perhaps. Me, I much prefer the smaller, lighter blades and handles of the Laguiole knives than those that look like they belong in a Ponderosa or some other MOR chain. Delicate they're not, though they are narrower. Very pleasant to hold, imo.

I looked at Williams Sonoma today. They had Laguiole knives in all stainless, olivewood handles, or birchwood handles; $99, $229, $129 (iirc), respectively for a set of four. Definitely like these knives. Unfortunately they were out of the Globals - not even a display knife.

Cutting on china plates dulls any knife fast. The typical serrated steak knife is a poor solution. My preference is something with a non-serrated edge that is very easy to sharpen.

Come to think of it - I would bet that a set of decent, mid-price hunting knives would make a great set of steak knives. Some have really beautiful or plain but functional handles.

Some of these work well and are reasonably priced. I like #11675.

I like Rada cutlery....simple easy to sharpen and dont kill the wallet. Have used there products for many years...I also like Wenger Knives as well..

Back