Igloo Yukon - Coolers

*Matt*

TVWBB Fan
Anyone have one? How do you use it - is it holding up?

Seems that I am just as much of a cooler freak as I am cooking appliances, shoes and bags! haha

Yukon

00044666_none_1_198x171.png

Nice Matt, I guess I will have to buy one and test it out. We have an annual fishing trip coming up WAY UP NORTH. Last year I bought a Coleman Xtreme at Sears, around 40 bucks. Kept it under the cabin for the most part so it was out of the sun, at night it was mid thirties, during the day in the fifties. Held up really well for the whole week. Did not see the price of the Yukon, so if its in the same ballpark I will get one and get back to you after my trip.

Eric

OK so I just googled it and um yeah I won't be getting back to you. Coleman Xtreme 62 quart cooler, 40 ish bucks, 70 quart Yukon cooler $389.00. Kind of ridiculous, plastic and insulation. Will be buying a 22.5 WSM before I spend that kind of money on a cooler.

It looks like they are trying to compete with Yeti. I don't know anyone who owns a Yeti but if I had the money I'd buy one.

Well to keep ice for 7 days is impressive! Mine cooler is a peice of junk compared! But its ALOT of money.
icon_eek.gif

Having used Colemans for decades, I can Yetis are probably the best cooler out there IMO. I fish annually on the TX coast in the summer and it can get very hot. The Yetis hold up great inside and out. Their construction is superior to Coleman; they are virtually indestructible. They are expensive but then again you don't want to lose a load of fish you've been working hard at catching all day. There'll be 2 Yetis going down with us next month.

Paul

Agree the Yeti is a great cooler and while I do not own one I have used one for fishing in the past. I would say the reviews and overal build of the Igloo looks to be close if not in some aspects better.

I was going to pick up a Yeti but holding back now to see if there are any real world experiences with this one.

IMO the construction and durability of the Yeti is superior to Coleman by far. Can't tell you how many hinges and latches I've gone through with Colemans. I'd venture to guess that the Yeti could be dropped out of a pick up going 70 mph and it would hold together. It really depends on your needs; cost vs how much you use it.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Coleman Xtreme cooler boast 5 day ice retention @90*. Works for me given the price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My first Coleman Xtreme worked great. I'd fill it up on Friday on the way to the lake with ice & beer and it would still have ice on Sunday when I got back.

But it eventually lost it's ice retention and my 2nd larger one never really had it. Or maybe we just drink more beer now and open it more.

Paul, I hear you on the hinges! Whenever I order some I order a few extra then never can find them. Guess I should tape them to the bottom of the lid as ofter as they get replaced.

Still doubt I could spend $300+ on a cooler though.

just a quick update for those interested - I had a chance to play with both the Yeti and the Yukon this weekend side by side - the Yeti is Nice and has been around for a long time so their product is well rounded and has many aftermarket accessories to go along with your ever growning needs. With that the Yukon is heavier, much thicker and seems to have been put together with a great deal of care. The quick drain is nice, the thick handles are needed as this thing is heavy empty before you add any gear. The elevated bottom allowing air to circulate is a nice feature but I am not so sure how well it will work and if it provides any real life benefits. Overal the Yukon feels heavier, its thicker for sure and is priced about the same as the Yeti - i don't think anyone is going to go wrong with either -

I will stick with my marine Igloo models as they appear to always do the trick and for the cost I can go through 4 for every one of the Yukons - in other words that a life time of coolers --- unless the lottery god pulls my numbers

Thanks for the report Matt.

I too am a fan of my Igloo marines. Buyer beware though, there are different grades even within the "Igloo marines" line, and some are excellent while others are much lesser insulating.

Back