Bacon Slicing

I have just brined my first batch of bacon. As a recommondation from the site I tried some to make sure it wasn't too salty. I was very pleased with it taste so I have it hanging for a day to dry. Now my question, does anyone have an idea to slice the bacon into those uniform slices that you see in the store. Other than a sharp knife and try to eyeball a 1/8" slice I was thinking of putting it in the freezer and get it nice and cold but not frozen so I could get uniform slices. Once I have smoked it I will post some pictures. I unfortunatly still live in the world of dial up and it takes forever to load pictures.

If you don't have access to an electric slicer (or a friendly butcher who does) then just toss it in the freezer for a bit. And with homemade bacon, don't be afraid to slice it thicker - even up to 3/8" thick is great if you bake it or fry on low heat.

I've had a nice slicing knife and didn't have trouble making semi-uniform slices with it. Here is a picture of it from a Pastrami cook:
74451_1714984758242_1346888958_1839887_3965826_n.jpg

The other choice is to get an electrical slicer, but many times they only go 7 - 9 inches and your bacon may be wider than that.

Chilling till quite firm (but not hard) in the freezer is a good way to go for many meats - for slicing, for dicing, mincing, whatever.

A sharp knife will work better, i.e., be easier to handle for uniform slices, if the meat is firm. Alternatively, you can use a mandoline or V-slicer.

Well i can just agree with the half frozen tec.

But i sill want a slicer myself for my bacon/turkey breast/loin lunch meat.

The end resault is better and it takes no time to slice it.

I use an el-cheapo Chef's Choice and it works well for the things I end up slicing.

Very cold meat is key no matter how you slice it.

Ron

Back