Stoker - Wireless communication without Internet

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone successfully set up their stoker to work wirelessly with a laptop while not utilizing a wireless network?

I currently have my stoker set with a static IP of 192.168.0.200 and it connects to a D-Link bridge, which in turn connects to my wireless network at home.

I want to be able to use the stoker, bridge, and laptop to create a wireless connection at competitions where no Wi-Fi is available.

I've tried messing with the static IP on my laptop, but can't get things to communicate. Any tips?

if you manually assign IPs to both devices based on MAC id's I'd think all you have to do from there is establish a port forwarding rule from the bridge/router to the http server of the stoker ... port 80 or whatever port the stoker http server listens on ... to access it from your laptop you request from the IP of your bridge on the network and it forwards the request, as per the forwarding rule, to the stoker HTTP server

HTH

Ok, I figured it out. Wasn't too bad.

I logged into the DWL-810+ and removed the current SSID, which refers to my home network. I entered a new one, secured it, and changed the mode from infrastructure to ad-hoc. I did not change the IP address of my stoker or bridge.

I then went to my laptop and created a new SSID to match the one on my bridge, entered the security info, and checked the ad-hoc box.

I also had to change the IP address to static, in the range of the bridge, with the same subnet.

Now I can simply hit the IP address of the stoker, through the secure bridge, without wi-fi or a cable. Sweet!

The security on my bridge doesn't support the security on my home network, so I had to unsecure my home network every time I used the stoker wirelessly. Now I can just change the IP on my laptop that I use to record cooking logs and the rest of the house computers / router settings can be left alone. Only downside is the laptop can't hit the internet, but that was an expected side effect.

Thanks for all the help.

Pat

Shawn,

In this setup there is no router or internet connection. A bridge is a totally different device then a router. There are 3 devices:

stoker
wireless bridge
laptop

The stoker is connected to the WiFi bridge and the laptop has wireless. The challenge is getting the laptop to talk to the stoker. I think this is done setting both the PC and the bridge in ad-hoc mode and assigning static IP addresses on the same network.

-rob

ah I c, I thought you had a router in between your bridge and laptop

you are using a peer to peer network

Pat, if you have an ethernet port on your laptop, plug it in to your home network ... config the wireless adapter to work with your stoker and your wired adapter to work on your home network then you will have it all!

This has been an interesting thread to follow. Right now, I use an extra wireless router at home and at comps. I've been wanting to get a wireless bridge at home to connect into my main router at home so I could still have internet access while also running Stokerlog. It sounds like it will be easier for me just to keep both the extra wireless router and the wireless bridge with my Stoker equipment (using the bridge at home and the wireless router at comps).

I just have to find a wireless bridge that supports WPA security -- most of the gaming adapters I've seen only support WEP.

Pat,

I was able to do the same thing on my Linksys game adapter. The only tricky part was setting the "alternate connection" on the TCP/IP network setting. Once done it works like a champ.

-rob

The only tricky part was setting the "alternate connection" on the TCP/IP network setting.

Can you elaborate on what you did? I entered the IP address and subnet in the alternate section, but I don't see what it does for me. I still need to change the main settings in order to connect to the ad hoc network. I actually just put it in the alternate section so I wouldn't have to worry about remembering the settings.

I’m having trouble getting this set up and working. I am familiar enough that I set up my home network and later successfully added the game adaptor and stoker and stokerlog. I can run these fine.

I “think”, from reading the posts above, that I need to get a static IP on my laptop before I setup the ad-hoc. Correct?

I believe I have the ad-hoc set up correctly. But it does not show up when I run the setup disk on my game adaptor. I tried the manual settings and the two do not talk.
Where do I find info on setting my laptop up with a static IP before I set up the ad-hoc?

Am I understanding or diagnosed this correctly?

I am using a Linksys WGA600N gaming adapter for the connection.

D.

Is your laptop wireless? You are right - you need to define a static IP address on both the Stoker and your laptop. In essence, what you are doing is creating a 2 node network. This two node network doesn't have a DNS server so the devices on it need to have their IP Addresses set manually. They also have to be on the same network

-rob

So how do I set a static IP on my laptop?

Or can you point me in the right direction to find that info?

I understand how to manually set the game adaptor and the stoker's IP's. And I think I have the ad-hoc set up correctly.

But I'm lost on how to set the IP on the laptop????

Yes the laptop has wireless.

This should help you. Set your main network connection to DNS and setup the alternate tab to static.

http://www.home-network-help.com/set-ip.html

Make sure the SSID of your as-hoc net is something different then your main net. Choose that Wifi to connnect to. Your machine will look for a DNS server then timeout using the static ip address.

Go to a command line ant type

ipconfig

it should be set to the IP address you put in the alternate field.

-rob

Ok, I am officially admitting that I am too stupid to figure this out.

I manually set up the Linksys WGA54G game adaptor to an IP address and ad-hoc network. (192.168.2.250) then unplug the Ethernet cord and power cord. Then flip the switch to ad-hoc.

Then I set up my laptop to a static IP. (192.168.2.101) and added a “stoker” wireless ad-hoc connection on the laptop.

Then set the Stoker Ip address to match the same gateway. (192.168.2.103)

Turn on the stoker,
Try to connect to the “stoker” wireless connection on the laptop.. it will not connect. I plug the power in on the game adaptor. The wireless connection on the laptop now connects.

I type in the stoker address 192.168.2.103 … it does not connect. I try the game adaptor 192.168.2.250 …. Nothing.

I plug the stoker directly into the laptop and type in the stokers address .. temperature page comes right up. Doh!

The only thing I can think of is that I need some sort of local area connection for this to work thru …. I’m ready to call the geek squad at $170. What am I missing?????

don't be discouraged. You are playing at a level the Geek squad probably couldn't figure out!

A couple of things I noticed when I was setting this up. I didn't bother flipping the ad-hoc switch on the WGA54G. There is a setting on the WGA54G config web page that I used to set that. I don't trust the switch.

Plug the laptop into the WAG54G and get to the config page. Once there set it for static IP addressing, ad-hoc AND change the SSID of the network to something like STOKERNET. Make sure the netmask is 255.255.255.0. Leave security off at this point. Let's say you set it up for 192.168.2.250

OK. Setup your laptop's WiFi adapter's alternate IP address to 192.168.2.251 with the same netmask as above.

Turn off the laptop and the WGA54G. At this point the WGA54G should not be connected to anything. Cycle the WGA54G and turn on your laptop.

Now, on your laptop view your wireless networks. Connect to STOKERNET. It will look like your computer is trying to get an IP Address but it can't because there is no DHCP server. After a few minutes it will timeout and fall back to your alternet settings. Wait for this to happen.

Now, go Start -> Run and type in "cmd" w/o the quotes. Type in "ipconfig". You should see your WiFi adapter set to 192.168.2.251.

Type in "ping 192.168.2.250". Make sure it doesn't say "request timed out".

If you got this far you are almost there. Set your stoker up for static IP addressing 192.168.2.252 netmask 255.255.255.0. Once done plug it into the WGA54G.

On the laptop, type in "ping 192.168.2.252" and make sure there is no timeout. If you get a response then you are done. Open a web browser and goto http://192.168.2.252 and you should be at the stoker's web server.

From here you can go back and configure security if you want.

Back