Sandwich Recipe for Leftover Pork Tenderloin

David_S

I smoked up quite a bit of Pork Tenderloin and it came out pretty nice. Vacuum sealed and froze about 1/2 of it. I'd like to remove some of it and make some sandwiches but if I've learned one thing it's that I'm a recipe follower not a recipe creator.

Anyone have a fabulous way to make a sandwich with some leftover pork tenderloin?

A couple goals I have:

1. Fairly simple (I can handle prepping a spread or topping for 30 minutes but I don't want to be spending 4 hours creating this sandwich topping(s))

2. Looking for something that isn't traditional BBQ sauce based. i.e, maybe horseradish or sweet mustard glaze or a mayonaise based topping or terayaki base?, etc.

3. Not a requirement but I enjoy using my Panini maker.

If it helps, the tenderloin was smoked with cherry and apple wood (lightly) and the rub and finishing sauce were typical pork BBQ (i.e. a standard ribs rub, seared over high heat at the end and one thin coat of No. 5 sauce in the last 10 minutes).

Thanks.

David,

I sometimes will slice the tenderloin, loin or even a roast thin and then give it a quick sear. Just enough to add a little color (and thus flavor), but you don't want to dry out the meat. Pork and mustard are a classic combo. I'd suggest a quality whole grain mustard such as Dijon. A little mayo if you like. Add a little romaine or another lettuce that will hold up to the warm meat. You could also add a cheese; a nice Gouda or smear some goat cheese on the bread. A nice rye or a crusty whole wheat, sliced thick and lightly toasted should work nice for bread.

Paul

I'll take what Paul said, and add a bit to it:

Sliced Pork is good warmed-up, but not re-cooked - so, your Panini Press may give it just enough of a warm-up. I would start with the bread, meat, and any cheese by itself, then toast it, and then add some chilled fixin's. The contrast between the warm body of the sandwich and the cool, crisp stuff works really well together - try adding stuff like:

-Crisp greens
-Honey Mustard
-doctored-up mayo
-Sliced Sweet Onion or better yet, caramelized
-A few thin slices of green apple (Granny Smith)
Apple on a sammy may sound a little odd, but it's really good with pork!

Back