IRGUN-S

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
Dang, this thing is fun. I can't stop shooting stuff.
IMG_5933.JPG

IRGUN-S NEW! Improved Infrared Gun

OK harbor Freight sells cheap ****! I bought this same IR gun over a year ago & it works great. Lots of fun , shoot the foreheads of the girls at work to see who's hottest!
The thermoworks is probably better, The Centech @ harbor freight will often be on sale for $25

J

Have a dumb question. Does this gizmo measure surface temperature only? What applications do you use it for in grilling/smoking?

Les

IRGUN-S NEW! Improved Infrared Gun
Paul, If you go for one you wanna make sure you can adjust the "emissivity" to the surface your measuring. The Thermoworks allows for this: Not sure about the HF one.

Have a dumb question. Does this gizmo measure surface temperature only? What applications do you use it for in grilling/smoking?

can't say its all that useful for grilling or smoking. I bought it specifically to temp pizza stones and block of himalayan salt, which is about the only use I can think of for grilling.

I'm considering doing some surface temping of butts to see how the stall relates to surface temp as in the "wet bulb" explanation for the stall.

I've enjoyed using it to temp frying pans, shallow oil, and stuff like that. Its helping me to put a temp to an effect.

Paul, If you go for one you wanna make sure you can adjust the "emissivity" to the surface your measuring.

I haven't got into emissivity yet, but everything I've shot (water, metal, oil, meat, skin, cat...) seems to be reading like it should.

The other thing that is adjustable on the thermoworks unit is how it calculates temp. It scans a patch of the surface (patch size is determined by distance) and can display the highest temp in the patch, lowest temp, or average.

I got one for Christmas, and apart from the fact that is great to annoy everyone by taking the temperature on different parts of their body, it's great when you make sausages, bernaise and other stuff that need close temp monitoring.

It's also a nice thing to have if you want to know the temperature on reheated food, in a casserole, or some microwaved food. Usually you heat the food until you are sure that it is "enough", but with this gadget, there is no need to heat leftovers more then just right.

It's also great to check the temperature in the fridge and freezer. (Bring it to the grocer's, and check the temperature on the fresh food that should be kept cold..)

As for electrical safety- point this device on every outlet, switch and other electrical gizmos in your house. If it's hot, you have a fire hazard that you can fix before there is a major problem.
(I'm sure you all understand that electric heaters and so on should be excluded..)
The last area of use could be enough to justify buying one.

My local Harbor Freight ad has a coupon for the Cen-Tech laser therm. for $25.99 thru 3/20/11.

but everything I've shot (water, metal, oil, meat, skin, cat...)
J,I gotta ask. What was the surface temperature of the cat? LOL!
icon_wink.gif

Fur reads 75. Inside ear closer to 85

HAHA good one!

Love to get me one of those.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
IMG_5952.JPG

"Now that you know the temp inside my ear, can I haz cheezburger?"

Since we're doing LOLCat...

I knowz a place you can stick that thing to get the temperaturz

I have the CDN model with thermocouple proble & IR.

It's nice to use on pans when heating. You can also move it around and see if there are any hot spots.

Other than that, I didn't really "need" it.

I have one of those from Thermoworks. I think I paid $40 then. I posted it up here awhile back. I use it fairly often. It's great for deep frying, etc for monitoring the temperature of the oil. I use it for checking temperatures in anything on the stove top. When I am reheating frozen items like pulled pork, brisket, etc in vac seal bags it's handy to monitor water temps so I keep it to 140 degrees and not over cook. Comes out perfect every time. Used it in both my kitchen fridge when I was having trouble maintaining temps. Used it in the basement fridge when setting optimal temp for beer and then again for when I'm cold fermenting pizza dough.

Good for various melting operations like sugar, etc for candy or for sauces. I like the instantaneous read that you don't get from a standard therm.

Great for surface temp uses. I have a grill insert for my range top. Great for measuring surface temp for telling when temps are reached for various grilling efforts.

Just a handy item to have around. It's parked on the shelf with the thermapen.

Back