Top Sirloin Steaks marinade

Erik G

TVWBB Pro
Ever since my good friend's mother passed away (about 8 weeks ago), I have been smoking and grilling for him and his father.

I went by to pay them a visit and his father brought me three select grade top sirloin steaks (about 3/4 inch thick) to cook up for them.

I am almost certain they will not turn out tender if I throw them on the grill with seasoning, therefore I am looking for a marinade that will add flavor and tenderize the meat. Anybody have any suggestions?

I will most likely sear the steaks in a cast iron skillet and throw them in the oven on high heat to about medium internal temp., unless recommended otherwise.

Erik

I tired this one a few times with good results:

1 C evoo
2 T thyme
2 T oregano
2 T parsley
1 T rosemary
1 chipotle chilli in adobo sauce, chopped
1 T paprika
3 cloves garlic chopped
3 Tred wine vinegar
salt
pepper

Mix marinade ing. and let sit for an hour. Pour in a bag to cover the steaks for at least a couple hours. I leave a little of the marinade out to put on the steaks as they are cooking. Oh yeah and I try to use fresh herbs so the measurements are for fresh.

I can't remember where I got this from whether it was from a book or someone I know, either way I hope I'm not plagerizing! Enjoy if you so choose.

Clark

Clark, I absolutely hate buying a bunch of herbs when I end up only using a tablespoon. Are fresh herbs an absolute must, or can I substitute with dry herbs?

Erik

From AllRecipes.com

1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons Dijon-style prepared mustard
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced

In a medium bowl, combine the oil, soy sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, ground black pepper, mustard, onion, and garlic. Mix together well, and use to marinate your favorite meat.

Erik, I agree with you about the waste when buying fresh herbs. When I chop fresh herbs I always chop more than I need (or just chop all of the leftovers) and set the leftovers out in small bowls or pans at room temp to dry for a couple of days, stirring occasionally. Then I just add them to my herb jars. I've gotten some fabulous dried dill that way -- much better than any I've purchased.

If they are chopped mixed herbs, I have an 8-ounce jar that I keep adding to, as I chop and dry the herbs, including parsley. It's so handy when I need some herb flavor in rubs, sauces, salad dressings, etc. Just be sure to not overload the mixture with dried rosemary, but some is great in the mix. Also good in pizza doughs that have a fairly long fermentation time, to give the herbs time to rehydrate.

So fresh herbs don't go to waste in my house. You'd get even better flavor if the herbs were dried and jarred whole, but that takes too long for me.

Rita

Hi Erik, personally I do the same as Rita or else even freeze left overs from time to time, although not often. On the other hand you can use dried instead. Just cut down by about 1/2 to 2/3 of what is called for, basically just do it to taste.

I'm sorry to hear about your friends loss.

Clark

Back