First long smoke on my Mini-SJG Smoker

Tim (the grillaholic)

TVWBB Super Fan
It was time to try a long smoke on the mini, so I decided to smoke a Boston Butt. ( after some hints left by my wife!) I fired up 9 briquetes in the charcoal ring about 0245 this morning. at about 0300 i placed 'em on top of a pretty full bottom (stubbs briquetes) mixed with some (small) pecan chunks and a handful of apple chips. By 0315, the mini was at 225, and by 0335, it had settled out at 234. I layed back down and checked the temp again at 0630...241! (steady as a rock!) I took my sons to school (around 8ish) and returned home by 0845...244!
At 0915, I checked the charcoal and was very pleased to see that after over 6 hours at smoking temps, there wasstill enough coal to last (IMO) another 2/3 hours. I had to leave around 10ish and would be gone for at laest 2 hours so I went ahead and added some more Stubbs. Well, it is now 12:25 and I returned home to find the mini chugging right along at 244!! I have read the posts that say how easy this thing is to dial in, but had never tried it myself. All I can say is "WOW"! I am posting pics of the smoke in the photo gallery forum for all to see.
I can't thank all that have posted tips, suggestions, and answers to all the many questions on this topic, You all have helped this novice make one fine smoker!!
icon_biggrin.gif

(Chris, I know 2 postings of the same topic on multiple threads is frowned upon, my reasoning behind the 2 seperate threads is to post the pics in the photo forum, and all the facts (for those interested in making a mini-SJG smoker) in this forum.
Tim
mini-
wsmsmile8gm.gif

It's crazy how great the temp control is with these homemade smokers, isn't it? It's like they were made to stay in "smoking temperature ranges."

Can't wait to see pictures.

Justin, I just pulled the butt off the mini, and again, the temp was 242. Ihonestly believe that had I put just a few more briquetes in the bottom at the start, it would have easily lasted the entire 10 hours! I am uploading the pics as we speak, the pulled pork pic will have to wait unti later, as it just got tucked in for a 2 hour nap!! Even when I added the extra charcoal to it and the temp spiked, (it jumped to 285) it was back down to 250 within 12-15 minutes!
One word, UNBELIEVABLE!
icon_biggrin.gif

I,m postingvthe pics now in the photo forum.
Thanks,
Tim

The more i read about this one the more i crave one! Great post Tim and good looking pics.

When my fater in law turned 50 we gave him a Cobb

They are all around europe with the Travel trailer(motor home). And this "Cobb" is cool to toutch and can be used on a plastic table.(often used in boats) I dident have any of my webers @ that time. When he turned 53 we got him a 22" platinum. At home he only grills on the platinum,but on trips the cobb is a great unit. We cooked a beef tenderloin using 7 briquetes. And we fed 4 ppl with that loin.

I think this mod makes an even better unit. And the total cost is lower.

Wolgast, Thank you for the kind words. The Cobb seems like a well designed grill. I really like the "cool to the touch" feature.
My mini smoker continues to amaze/impress me. After I got home from my sons bball game last night, I went to clean the ashes from the bottom of the mini, and this is what I found..
100_0144.jpg

The little thing is so air tight, that after I (pulled the butt off and) closed the side vents, it extinguished itself rather than continuing to burn! For about a $60.00 investment, I really couldn't ask for anything more! Are there any places in your corner of the world where a tomale' pot is available?
If so, I highly recomend trying this out.
Good Luck, and thanks again.
Tim

I just started a chicken on the Mini-SJG Smoker.

I made a few additions to it first. I am now using a "Paula Dean" 9" stoneware pie dish for my diffuser. It says that it is oven safe to 500 degrees. I 2x wrapped in HD foil and hope it lasts.

I finally added the second grate. It is 4" below the rim,the first sits right on the steamer indention. I am using a Weber 7440 charcoal grate for the second grate.the first sets right on the indention.

Last, but not least, I added a thermometer this week. It is a charbroil grill thermometer from Home Depot.

I am real happy with this thing. It is efficient, easy to handle, easy to clean, and fun. Tomorrow I am hoping to do some ribs, and the "pizza fattie" that is waiting in the fridge.

Back