Beer Can Turkey?

Jim Creasy

TVWBB Fan
We have a turkey for X-Mas and my job is to get it cooked. I was thinking of smoking and looking at a brine or salt rub...

What if I tried a "... beer can" cook with a Foster's Oil Can in the cavity?

Also, I've seen chickens roasted on a grill with strips of bacon draped over the breast to baste and tenderize...

I am thinking of trying one of the two methods.

Any feedback or suggestions? (Probably will use a very small amount of Hickory).

Thanks in advance,

JKC

I think most agree that the "beer can" method adds little to no moisture/flavour to a bird. I know the 2-3 times I've done it the level in the can has not changed a millimeter.

You'd get more flavour IMO with brining or just a rub.

The beer is better in you than the bird.

Agree on the flavor issue... But I was thinking of the position of the bird, upright... Also, I plug the chicken neck with onion and usually get a face full of steam when I take that out, which cannot be a bad thing.

Thanks for the reply.

JKC

PS Also agree about the beer being better in me than the bird!

I smoked my first turkey using the apple juice brine method found here. It was plenty juicy and moist with no bacon or anything else added to it.

The only "down" part I personally found was that it tasted a bit like ham.

Don't worry about moistness if you do the brine method.

I did a 13lb beer can turkey a few weeks ago using a Fosters oil can. I dry brined it for a few days before hand and it came out dee-licous! (The Fosters was pretty good too.)

Here's a crummy cell phone pic I took of the bird prior to carving.

Turkey.jpg

Doing chickens, duck, turkey... Most of the time I do them upright. No need for cans or racks... They just sit them there themselves. Can adds nothing except maybe an excuse to empty it...

Back