Ghost Chilies

I have some myself. I'm not feeling the need to make yet another version of some 'insanely hot' sauce or another. I'm leaning toward using some in various curries, in rasam (a spicy tomato-tamarind soup from southern India; ghost peppers, actually named Bhut Jolokia, are from northeastern India), and probably something or another with mango - a simmer sauce or the like.

Shaun is correct. It's imperative to handle them carefully. (Workers who handle them wear gloves, goggles and masks.)

Here was my reaction from a recent post to my first experience with dried ghost chiles:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The real story is my first experience with bhut jolokia (ghost) peppers. I spared my family the pain and left it out of the dish but ground 1/2 of a chile and put it on my own plate (in about 3/4C of vindaloo), mixed, let it sit a bit.

Holy hellfire inferno Batman. That plate of food was right up there if not the hottest thing I've ever eaten or made. My face went red from top of neck up, I got a bit of a sweat going, and don't tell anyone but I might have even shed a tear or two.

It took me about 20 minutes to finish my plate ... I had a sensation if I ate it any faster it was going to come back up. .... Then the 'feel good wave' kicked in ..... ahhhhh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If that's not the kind of experience you're looking for I'd dilute them a bit.

I've heard but can't verify from personal experience sauces and such made with them can weaken in heat intensity starting as early as a few days. Dunno ... maybe specific ingredients can neutralize heat over time ...?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jay Rogers:
A buddy sent me a package of dried ghost chilies. Anybody have any ideas/suggestions on how to use them? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
After reading Kevin and Shawn's posting, I'd start thinking about something like this.
icon_biggrin.gif

Hazmat-Training-Suit-3WJL2_AW99.jpg

I've pick them up from time to time. My favorite way to use them is for dessert, I know that sounds crazy but I love chile's in desserts. I usually steep them in cream before adding it to some form of dark chocolate dessert. I've also used them in fruit based hot sauces and in chili. They really do have a nice flavor when you use them in moderation.

Clark

I used one fresh ghost chili to spice up a batch of wings (about 5 lbs) and they were **** hot even with about a half cup of honey to cut the kick. They were great, though. Lots of good flavor and just barely not too hot to eat.

Probably make some brew and use it as a personal defense weapon like pepper spray.

Habaneros are too hot for me to eat can't imagine what the Gost chilis are like.

If too hot can always remove seeds and veins and soak in milk.

John

I just picked up a pack myself and was meaning to start a thread exactly like this. Can't wait to see what we come up with.

I posted a recipe request on my nickel city smokers facebook page and a fellow bbq'r suggested this:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The Black Pig BBQ's Screeching Banshee Pork Chili

Meat Base 800 gms "Willowgrove's Omega 3" Smoked BBQ Pork Shoulder 450 gms "Willowgrove's Omega 3" Slab Bacon 500 gms "Willowgrove's Omega 3" Dried Chorizo Sausage 800 gms "Willowgrove's Omeg...a 3" Fresh chorizo Sausage

Chile Sauce 1 ltr beef stock 2 Dried Ancho Peppers 2 Dried Chipotle Peppers 5 ml Ground Ghost Chile Pepper (Naga Jolokia)***( up to 15 ml to taste) 30 ml Smoked Paprika 500 ml Refried Beans 60 ml Worchester Sauce 60 ml Dark Chocolate

Aromatics 30 ml Olive Oil 1 Fresh Serrano Pepper 1 Fresh Jalapeno Pepper 2 Roasted Red Peppers 100 ml Fresh Garlic (Peeled & Chopped) 1000 ml Onion Finely Chopped 50 ml Toasted Whole Cumin 30 ml Mexican Oregano 30 ml Kosher salt ***(up to another 15 ml to taste) 1 ltr beef stock

Finishing Flavours 100 ml Masa Harina (Corn Flour) 100 ml Brown Sugar 100 ml Turbinado Sugar 60 ml Jack Daniels Fresh cilantro Bunch

Chile Sauce - In a large sauce pan combine 1 liter of beef stock with the dried peppers and allow to simmer for ½ hour, and puré. Add the refried beans, Worchester sauce, paprika, ghost chili powder, chocolate and blend till smooth; strain through a sieve or strainer.

Meat Base - Meanwhile, in a 7 quart Dutch oven or heavy pot, add skinned fresh sausage cooked in large chunks, add the dry sausage (skin removed) , BBQ pork along with browned bacon, all in bite sized pieces.

Aromatics - In a separate pan add the olive oil, brown the onion, salt and garlic, deglaze the pan with the second liter of beef stock. Toast the cumin and grind in a spice mill, combine with oregano. Cut the fresh Serrano and Jalapeno Peppers in half (lengthwise) remover seeds and stems and float on top of the mixture. Dice the roasted red peppers into small pieces and incorporate.

Combine the "Chile Sauce" and "Aromatics" to the "Meat Base" and add the remaining "Finishing Flavours" except the cilantro. Simmer for 2 hours or until desired consistency is reached. Dice the cilantro and mix into the chili just before serving.

Garnish the bowl with "Lime / Cumin Infused Sour Cream" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The Black Pig BBQ's Screeching Banshee Pork Chili </div></BLOCKQUOTE>J, that recipe sounds great!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">J, that recipe sounds great! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it looked promising, and you probably dig the metric
icon_wink.gif

Back