Do you actually _use_ a carving fork ?

Jeff Steele

I just bought myself a nice, quality knife (Wusthof Classic 7" Santoku). The sensation of using an extremely sharp knife is eye-opening, to say the least. This inspired me to learn how to sharpen knives, and now all my other knives are cutting like champs.

But now I'm afraid I'm on a bit of a cutlery obsession.
icon_smile.gif

One thing I have my eye on now is a carving fork. Such an elegant implement, but I can't figure out if its actually useful at all. Of course it adds some class in a fancy restaurant, but does it add anything to the art of carving a roast ? Do any of you folks actually use one ?

Please note, I'm talking about a Carving Fork, not the "broomstick-with-spikes" that comes in a typical BBQ set! The one I'm looking at is a "Mercer Genesis 6" Forged Carving Fork", for under $30. The $100+ ones are way outta my league for impulse buys !

You hit it with whether it's useful at all. Aesthetically, sure. Functionally, anything that keeps the meat stable works. I have a nice set of Globals and only use the fork during holiday meals. That said, if you need a pretty fork and can afford it, go nuts. I tend to just use heat resistant gloves when the carving isn't for show.

I have a basic Victorinox carving fork which is listed as $25 on Amazon. It's basic, solid and not too expensive. I don't care that it doesn't exactly match my other knives and if I were to spend more money I'd probably just get a Victorinox carving knife. So your price point for a carving fork makes sense.

I find it useful to hold the bird or roast steady to cut up. They are also handy to stab food to test for doneness - last night I skewered a spaghetti squash in the oven to test for doneness.

I have a couple, and I do not use them. A insulated glove, covered with a silicone glove is much better to hold and stabilize the meat. It's too easy to mangle the blade of the knife when you hit the fork. It might be just me, being clumsy.

Way back when I was an Army cook,we were taught to use a carving fork. I use mine for all sorts of cutting jobs. Turkey,chicken,pork loins and tenderloins,brisket. Definately a must have!

Honestly, the last time I used my carving fork was to skewer an orange I dropped on the floor. The thought going through my mind was "why not? I might as well use it for something"
icon_smile.gif

Back