Who makes a good toaster?

Greg

TVWBB Super Fan
Need to buy a toaster, 4 slice, wide for bagels, etc. Anyone making a real quality toaster?

when our toaster crapped out we replaced it with a toaster oven. It handles everything well and is more versatile then a toaster. Just my opinion.

Funny you mention that, Steve! We are replacing our toaster oven in favor of a 'traditional' toaster.

consumer reports has endorsed the hamilton beach line. Cheap and easy to find.
It's such a simple device, you'd think any of them would work just as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Spendy, but this is my favorite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was eyeballing that one.

my wife also went from a toaster oven back to a toaster. we bought the cheapest we could find on sale. it works. wife is happy, i'm exstatic !

Look inside the slots, to see what you're buying:

I find that the toasters that work the best have the old-fashined metal heating elements.
Look for LOTS of exposed loops of wire, about the width of paper-clip wire, with scallops in it on both sides of the slot(s). These seem to provide more even heat across whatever is being toasted.

We have the "classic" but the count-down models are essentially the same thing with more modern styling. I would consider them a good middle-of-the-road toaster. Decent, but not too spendy.

http://www.cuisinart.com/products/toasters.html

If you see one quartz tube (looks like a white / glass ceramic rod) on both sides - avoid it. From what I've seen, these tend to heat un-evenly. (We had a Krups one like this, and hated it - bagels got a burned-stripe across the middle, with ends still un-toasted.)

Back