Citrus pith

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
Many times I'll add citrus to a brine. Right now, I have some very sweet oranges and I squeeze out the juice into the brine, but there is still some good juice left in them. What I've been doing is tossing in the orange halves into the brine hoping to extract a little more flavor. Will the bitterness of the pith come out as well? I don't really want to take the time to zest them...I know, I'm lazy...
icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes it will. Whether it will be noticeable depends on the other ingredients.

What you can do if you don't feel like zesting is to use a paring knife instead. Yes, a little more work than not bothering but it's quick--and the flavor added by the oil in the surface is so worth the little added time. You do not need to denude the fruit. Just take a knife to the fruit a couple or three times and slice off as wide a piece of zest as you can each time, avoiding the pith. Halve the fruit, squeeze the juice, and you're good to go. Mash the zest strips you've taken in the brine a bit to release their oil.

Paul,

If you get a microplane like this, it is very quick and easy to zest citrus. It releases a lot of flavor. This is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I use it for grating nutmeg and hard cheese as well.

a Microplane is one of the best kitchen devices to keep in your kitchen. I don't know how I went so long without one.

David, the only problem with the microplane is I'll need to expand my cabinetry; too many gadgets
icon_biggrin.gif
! Looks like I'm heading back to the store. I've thought about getting one for a while, should work nicely with things like nutmeg too I imagine.

The side of my fridge is my space. My cabinetry is chock full. On the fridge, two magnetic bars for knives and small go-to tools like the grater.

(It's great on nutmeg and hard cheese as well--nice and fluffy finish.)

Like Kevin, the side of my fridge is a vast minefield: 2 sets each of measuring spoons and dry measure cups, large & small scissors/shears, church key, a steel. small & medium whisks, a larger-holed microplane, garlic press, tea strainer, Ah-So cork puller, Vacu-vin wine bottle pump (for Jack - I use my FoodSaver although it is not 100% reliable.

On the front of the fridge are clips for various grocery lists, which are each arranged by aisle number (& contents of the aisle) for the particular stores I frequent. I even have space for a few pictures!

I have barely enough space on my magnetic knife rack to snap on my microplane.

Now, if someone could tell me where to find magnetic hooks that don't come apart.....the other night we were watching the news and heard a crash. The hook holding a couple of measuring cups had spontaneously become separated from the magnet...again. They've been super-glued together but that's not permanent either.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> On the front of the fridge are clips for various grocery lists, which are each arranged by aisle number (& contents of the aisle) for the particular stores I frequent. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Now that's organization! On your magnets, have you gone up a notch to epoxy? That should hold just about anything.

I wish I had space on either side of the fridge; mine is set into a designated space (sheet rock!). A great idea though. I'm thinking of utilizing the inside of my pantry door. It's textured so a little work would be necessary, but it could accommodate quite a few lighter weight items, spices, etc. Hmmmm...I wonder if the spouse would mind if I took over a spare bedroom...
icon_eek.gif
!

Paul, thanks for the tip on the epoxy. A thought: can't a steel sheet that would attract magnets be screwed into the inside of your cabinet doors?

For spice storage...In our latest kitchen semi-remodel -- 37 years ago
icon_frown.gif
-- I designed some wood spice racks to hold Spice Island bottles.

The racks were screwed into the insides of 2 of my upper cabinet doors above my small prep area, leaving enough space so they just cleared the doorframe when opening and closing the door.

Then I had someone cut out a rectangle from each cabinet shelf so the racks just fit into the cutout when the doors were closed. Hard to explain.

I have space for about 56 mixed Spice Islands and McCormick spice jars which I refill from the 8-ounce Mason jar stash of Penzey's spices that I store downstairs in the cool workshop. I figure I get at least 10 minutes' worth of treadmill time running up and down the stairs to refill bottles, which never run out at the same time.

I wish I'd added racks to one more cabinet to hold spares and a few purchased seasoning mixes. Never enough space!

Rita

Most knife magnet bars can be attached to walls/cabinets with screws. And they come in different lengths. Handy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:Now, if someone could tell me where to find magnetic hooks that don't come apart.....the other night we were watching the news and heard a crash. The hook holding a couple of measuring cups had spontaneously become separated from the magnet...again. They've been super-glued together but that's not permanent either.

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rita, three words - Rare Earth Magnets. I order mine from Rockler but I bet you could find them cheaper somewhere else. I have an axe in my garage held to the side of a cheap metal shelf unit, it's been there for 7 years. The same for my framing hammer, I use 3, 3/4" x 1/8" magnets, for each and you have to really pull to get them off the side of the shelf.

Jim, Thank you for the suggestions. I checked out Rare Earth Magnets at...

http://www.rare-earth-magnets.com/magnets.htm

...but they don't seem to have any magnets with hooks.

I also checked Rockler. They have hooks, but without magnets but the $38 one that they do have is a bit of overkill.
icon_smile.gif

Securing the magnets to the back of a board with hooks mounted on the other side would make the assembly too thick for its location, so I'll keep looking.

Rita

Back