Cleaning a deli slicer

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm the proud owner of a new (used) Hobart 1512.

I need to know how to clean it properly.

I found this
http://ezinearticles.com/?How-...at-Slicer&id=4820841

and would be interested in any and all additions to the method suggested.

One thing: do you remove the guards and then the blade to clean it? Use mesh gloves to handle the blade? I know, just be careful.

Easier said than done.

Doing sausages this a.m. I cut my thumb on the horn while slipping the casing on
icon_rolleyes.gif
. Fingers were soft because they were so wet from handling/cleaning the casing but accidents do happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I need to know how to clean it properly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's one of the challenges of these machines. The automatic ones are big and very heavy.. the manual ones less so. At work I try and avoid using it if I can. When I can't then I clean as follows... Ours sits on a table with wheels and when we're done we roll it over to a sink area and drag it up on the counter where we spray it down, then use soap if necessary followed by a rinse again and then sanitize followed by air dry.

Maybe at home it can be rolled outside and using a hose follow a similar process. If you haev a smaller model take it near your sink area and figure out a way to get it over your sink to clean and drain into your sink.

We don't take the blade off but do take off the other removeable parts.

Len,

I have a similar size Globe slicer. I essentially do what your linked article says except I don't use any bleach as bleach (chlorine) will stain the metal (SS) plus it's a pretty strong chemical. I use hot soap and water, remove the carriage assembly (part that moves back and forth) scrub it down, and then wipe down with hot water and let air dry. I don't normally remove the blade. I can access both the front and back while it's mounted. After, I wrap it up in a large plastic trash bag as I store it out in my garage (it's a large slicer running about 40+ lbs).

Paul

I have a commercial slicer also. My cleaning process sounds a lot like Paul's. I remove the carriage and wash with hot soapy water and then the rest of the slicer. I then remove the blade guards and clean them and the blade under them(SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY!). I dry the parts I removed and reassemble.
I don't remove the blade either for every cleaning, I don't see the need. I have CAREFULLY taken it off twice in 10 years to clean out of caution, and it scared me both times. Man that thing is sharp! I was surprised how clean it was. No need to take it off more often than that(if that often) no more than I use it.
I also put a trash bag over mine like Paul and store it in my basement.

Thanks for the input.

I too have issues with removing the blade unnecessarily. I've been looking for cut-resistant gloves (for the cleaning procedure) but any I've found are either stupid expensive or the shipping costs more than the glove.

AFA the bleach harming the aluminum, I wouldn't think the amount of bleach used (1/2 teaspoon in 1 litre of water) would hurt any metal. Just the "bugs".

Just my opinion though.

I spent the better part of the mid-90s in college and in delis- so I can tell you- it's never fully clean until you take off all the guards and blade and really get in there. That being said, I also spent at least 4 (that I can remember right now) evenings of the mid-90s in the ER because of those **** things. Now I've got a Waring slicer from Bed, Bath & Beyond and it doesn't even give me the option of taking it apart- just wipe and go- and it seems fine.

Just use lots of caution!

Got myself a pair of cut-resistant (level 4) gloves for the cleaning part. I don't intend on removing the blade often.

I've used it once so far. Took off the 3-part guard system, dialed it up to 80 (open) and cleaned it (bare-handed
icon_redface.gif
) with no issues. Just used a lot of caution.

The gloves will give me peace of mind now.

The process takes so long because you have to be so careful. I'd like to just take a hose to it but not practical.

Back