Garlic and Onion Salt

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
The rub I'm making calls for garlic salt and onion salt. I have neither on hand. However, I have garlic powder, onion powder and salt . . . so, what is the ratio for making these two mixed salts?

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by LarryR:
The rub I'm making calls for garlic salt and onion salt. I have neither on hand. However, I have garlic powder, onion powder and salt . . . so, what is the ratio for making these two mixed salts?

Thanks in advance!
Larry, just leave all the salt out entirely that's called for in the recipe, and make up the rub using your powders at around 1/2 the amount of the salted. If it calls for 1 tsp of garlic salt use a rounded or heaping 1/2 tsp of powder. I'm guessing that the G & O salts are close to 50/50.

Then just salt the meat and let it sit for 10-15 min and then apply the rub. Kevin isn't around tonight so I'm posting this for him.

Bryan, So what you are saying is the powder and salts have a different amount of flovoring? Then when a recipe calls for granulated garlic or onion what exactly does that mean? I just assumed it was garlic and onion powder.

Originally posted by KevinJ:
Bryan, So what you are saying is the powder and salts have a different amount of flovoring? Then when a recipe calls for granulated garlic or onion what exactly does that mean? I just assumed it was garlic and onion powder.
Kevin J, when you have galic or onion salt, it's a mix of salt and powder. I much prefer granulated to powder and only buy granulated onion and garlic, not the salts. Larry only had the powder with no salt in it so he needs to cut back on the amount used for the rub recipe or it could wind up having too much garlic and onion taste to it. I doubt it would be too much but you need to compensate for the lack of salt in the powders. Just remeber you can always add more, but take it out if it's too much. HTH

Ok, I get the "salt" combination thing. Specificly, the rub Kevin K gave me called for granulated garlic and onion. This might be overly simple but does that mean the "powder" form because that I what i used.

Ok, I get the "salt" combination thing. Specificly, the rub Kevin K gave me called for granulated garlic and onion. This might be overly simple but does that mean the "powder" form because that I what i used.
In terms of size, here's how they go. The powder is the finest grain, granulated is slighlty more coarse, (in between powder and sand) then comes minced, then chopped. The further up in size you use, the more flavor you get.

Sweet. Thank you for the answer.
Your welcome. If you got a good sniffer, you can actually smell the difference of the different sizes. Find yourself some granulated garlic. First smell the powder, then the graulated. You should be able to smell that the granulated is more pungent than the powder.
icon_wink.gif

I am one of those crazy people that love to go to the food store. I could spend way to much time there. I am suprised that i had never seen "granulated" garlic or onion which is why i asked the question. I guess i have a new excuss to go food shopping.

I am one of those crazy people that love to go to the food store. I could spend way to much time there. I am suprised that i had never seen "granulated" garlic or onion which is why i asked the question. I guess i have a new excuss to go food shopping.
Yeah me too.
icon_biggrin.gif
Granulated garlic is pretty easy to find, granulated onion on the other hand is more elusive. I usually have to buy the granulated onion on line from Penzey's. Sorry just had to link it for you just incase you never been there.
icon_biggrin.gif

I went to Wegmans tonight just to get my wife some popcorn and came home an hour later!!!! I cant just be in and out.

Thanks again for the answers.

Thanks everyone. I'll go 3:1 G/O:salt Turns out I do have some granulated garlic on hand. We use it for garlic bread, much better than the powder stuff.

I too have the problem of wandering the grocery store. Can't tell you how many times the SO has commented that she thinks I'm having an affair with someone at the grocery store. I'll go for a gallon of milk and spend an hour just walking around looking at things. You'd think I'd never seen a grocery store before.

hmmmm . . . good question Rita. I was thinking volume but now that you mention it. Also granulated would weight more than powder, right?

Larry--Yes, but formulations are first based on grain size. Volume works better for doing that; then each item is weighed and formulations made by weight. But the base tends to be volume. (If this makes sense.)

Kevin, thanks. I've been wondering about that for a while. I don't buy garlic or onion salt and have gotten some recipes using them, so now I can make more accurate conversions.

Rita

Back