A question about salt

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
While most people on this website specify not only kosher salt but brand of kosher salt in their recipes order to be precise I occasionally come across one that does not specify. For example Wild Willy's simply says "2 Tablespoons salt". Do I assume kosher salt? I tried this rub once and now realize that I might not have given it a fair shake by not using the correct amount of salt.

I'll let others keep me honest, but usually when a recipe doesn't specify I believe the assumption is table salt. Just be aware that table salt is 3 times stronger than Diamond kosher and 2 times stronger than Morton Kosher. That info has been posted by experts elsewhere on this site.

Gerry,

I would say that if the recipe doesn't give any hints of a specific brand or type, then one could assume it implies table salt.

I use Morton Kosher for just about everything, but that is only because I don't like the iodine flavor and MK is readily available.

Try the rub again and taste it. You can always adjust to your preference. Most salts have different size crystals, so by volume, they can vary quite a bit. IIRC: 1 cup table salt=1.5 cups Morton Kosher=2 cups Diamond Crystal.

Paul

As an aside, you might consider a valuable suggestion I found here on the board, I think it was from K Kruger: lightly dust the meat with salt and then later follow up with a salt-free rub once some moisture is drawn to the surface of the meat.

This allows you to put as much rub as you want without oversalting and leads to greater consistency and control regarding saltiness.

Back