Pampered Chef Pizza Stone,a review

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Recently,sweet Pammi Sue said one of her coworkers was selling PC stuff and did I want anything? I looked through the catalog and decided on a 15" pizza stone. $35,but what the hey. PC stuff is "supposed" to be pretty good.
I was at Lowes last week and picked up some fire bricks,because I wasn't sure about using it on the grill. Last night rolls around,and I put the pizza stone on the fire bricks and fired the Genesis up. Let it preheat for 30 minutes and slid the first pie on. TJ dough,topped in a margerita style with some pepperonis just for fun.
15 minutes later the first pie comes off,and the second one goes on. The second one was even better. I took it off at the 14 minute mark. WOW! It was good.
Here's my dilemma though. I let the stone cool overnight and went to take it off today. Cracked in two! I was amazed. Pammi says it's warrantied.
But I'm wondering if I have to go back to grilled pies(no real problem there),or what to do with the stone next time so it won't crack like this one. Any thoughts?

I have been using the old PC stones my mother gave me years ago. I've probably cooked a dozen pizzas on the grill with it and had no issues with it cracking, yet. I always lay my coals in a ring around the edge of the grill. I never put the coals directly under the stone. Good luck.

Did you get any cooking oil or other liquids on it? I used a PC stone less than 10 times and it cracked when I got some oil on it.

There might have been some tomato juice when I slid it from the peel,but after looking at it again,it cracked during the first pie.

The Pampered Chef stones have been known to break when exposed to high heat.

From the Naked Whiz's Ceramic Charcoal Cooker Page

"How Tough Is Your Stone? -- There are a lot of stories about pizza stones cracking when subjected to high heat. The pizza stones sold by Big Green Egg are plenty tough and will not crack. The stone that we bought from Crate and Barrel has withstood the test of time, also. However, in discussion forums one brand continually comes up as a problem stone that cracks. Whatever you do, do not use a pizza stone from The Pampered Chef in your Egg. For whatever reason, it cannot take the heat and is almost guaranteed to crack. If you can't get a BGE stone, or a stone sold by the manufacturer or your ceramic cooker, look for a thick and heavy stone. "

We have a PC stone but only use it in the oven. My wife got it for a bridal shower gift and I got her nasty old WalMart $10 stone from college for use on the grill. I haven't had any problems at all with it at 650 degrees over lump charcoal.

Phil, I wouldn't have put the stone on the firebrick. I would have used either just the firebrick or the stone. It's possible the brick got the stone too hot. Thanks for the lead on the firebrick. Been looking for replacement of some broken unglazed quarry tiles.

Back