Grill Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Garcia

TVWBB All-Star
Amazon.Com sells a 18 1/2 "Nickel Plated" Weber 70601 Cooking Grill. I would like to purchase a stainless steel grill to replace the original one on my WSM(Old Model) but could not locate one on this Website. Question, what is the difference between a grill that is Nickel Plated and another one that is stainless steel?

Richard

WSM(Old Model), OTG 22 1/2" with Smokentor

Richard - nobody seems to want to bite on your question so I'll stick my neck out there.

As for where to find the 18" SS grill grate, call Weber Customer service. I think they will be able to hook you up and for a reasonable price. If you need any additional replacement parts or accessories, order them at the same time since I believe they still charge flat rate shipping and a very reasonable price at that.

As for they why and wherefores, as far as I can tell the differences are rust and durability. SS is more rust resistant and the nickel plating, which is somewhat rust resistant, will wear off and rust will set it, making the nickel plated grates less durable than their SS cousins.

However, I am just a country lawyer stuck living in the city and there are a lot of guys on this forum with much more technical and scientific knowledge that I have and if I'm wrong or if my answer is incomplete, maybe they will weigh in and correct the misstatements or fill in the blanks.

Pat

I have both, and all I can say is that if the fire is good and hot I don't see a real difference between the two, however, I can confirm that the nickel plating breaks down rather quick where the SS does not.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back