Adolfs meat tenderizer and others

Jason in FLA

I was raised with my dad using adolfs and or another papin based ingredient. My question is there another natural tenderizer other than papin from papayas that is equally as good in tenderizing?

I ask bc I have had trouble in the past finding this product and would like to have a few opinions before I throw down the bucks on another tenderizing product

Papain from papayas, or bromelain from pineapples.

I wouldn't bother with either. They only work on the surface (unless you inject or otherwise get the material into the meat). Still, 'tenderizer' is a misnomer, imo. These products (like acids, which work similarly) denature proteins. This phenomenon, if occurring on the surface as is often the case (and as is often the case with typical marinades), tends to make the meat's surface a bit mushy while not affecting the interior. (If injected they tend to make the whole cut mushy as there really is no way to partially denature proteins in this case.) This gives the illusion of 'tenderness' but that's as far as it goes - and some like this I suppose.

What do you want a tenderizer for specifically?

Back