Your experiences with the 22" WSM

Brett Fields

TVWBB Fan
I've just completed my first cook with my new 22" WSM. I figured that 6 racks of spares and a few chicken thighs cooked over CompK ought to be enough for a break in run.
At the end of the cook, it seems to me that the 22 has more dramatic differences in temperature. I haven't done any temp mods so this is by feel. The top third of the lid and the outer few inches are alot hotter than the mid/lower lid and center grill grate. Also, the bottom grate is still yet much cooler. There seemed to be far more difference between ribs from the top vs ribs from the bottom.
I feel as though my 18" WSM is more even in temp, especially between the top and bottom.
Clearly I need to set up better temp monitoring within the cooker.
Also, it seemed as though I burnt through far more fuel than I had expected for a 7hr cook.

All comments appreciated.

Brett.

I've been pretty satisfied with the duration of burn on mine. I burn about 1.2lbs/hr at 250F when lit using the Minion method. It comes up to temperature very quickly and once set, holds the temp well for the duration of the cook, only falling as the fuel is almost exhausted. Of course, I learned on the 22 and have never had any other kind of smoker to compare it with. This is using Kingsford Blue - I've used other brands of briquettes with some bad results. Also, my first 2 smokes saw temperatures run high, but since getting broken in this hasn't been an issue.

My first cook was IMHO a success! I had been cooking on a Char-Griller SuperPro w/SFB. It leaked air like a screen door and ate fuel like a 17 year old boy during daily doubles in football.

This new 22 WSM was easy to bring up to temp I used the Minion Method and it was easy for me.

Once I got it to stablize and the dampers set I pretty much relaxed other than watching the BBribs. Probably more than I should but, I felt it was better to check the meat on the first cook than be bold and dumb and ruin the stuff.

The fire snuffed its self when I closed the dampers, the only way I could do that in the Char-Griller would be to seal it in a big bag or something. Air tight is good!

I am very happy with my new toy.

Back