Anyone make their own sauerkraut?

Thomas B.

TVWBB Member
I tried my hand with a very small batch, and I'm a little confused with the results. I should state that I've never had homemade kraut before, only store-bought. I shredded one small head of cabbage and used a fairly small plastic container with a follower plate and a large glass of water for weight. It's been about 5 weeks now since I made it, and it still has sort of a fresh cabbage or "cole slaw" taste to it. Is this how it's supposed to be if it's not canned or pasteurized? I like it, I'm just not sure if I've done something wrong or not... ?

Bryan S makes several crocks every year. I'm sure he'll be on in a bit to help you out.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

Did you salt it? Cool (but not cold) environment? No sign of fermentation (bubbling)?

I don't have the conditions so have not made it in some time. Bryan and Shawn do. Here is a recipe of Shawn's and the following discussion with Bryan.

Yeah, I used about a tablespoon of kosher salt, and stored it in my closet. It definately fermented some at least. For the first couple weeks, it would bubble if you pressed down on the weight jar. But for the last couple weeks, it seems fermentation has stopped.

The salt ratio needs to be accurate--3 T canning salt/5 lbs cabbage. The temps need to be between 55 and 75; lower or higher and no fermentation occurs, just spoilage. In the low 70s, fermentation completes in 3-3.5 weeks; in the upper 50s about 5.5-6 weeks. Fermentaton starts usually within 24 hours.

Did you get good brine formation soon after mixing the salt into the cabbage and pressing on it in the container? The exuded water must cover the cabbage. (Because of this, quantities of less than 10 lbs cabbage can be problematic.)

Note: You can use kosher salt, in which case I suggest 4 T/5 lbs--unless you do not plan on canning it but simply refrigerating it instead, in which case 3 T/5 lbs is fine.

Fermentation will give the kraut its characteristic tart taste. One stops the process when the tartness level one seeks is achieved if refigerating; one goes a bit tarter if planning to can the kraut as canning mellows it some.

By what you're saying, it sounds like I did it pretty pretty close to correctly. I had probably a pound and a half of cabbage and used about a tablespoon of salt. The temps would definately be in that range for the duration. It is sour, the brine is clear and has always been over the level of the cabbage. But it has kind of a fresh cabbage taste.

Did you add water or pound the cabbage to exude the liquid from the cabbage? If you added water, then you may not have had enough salt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
The salt ratio needs to be accurate--3 T canning salt/5 lbs cabbage. The temps need to be between 55 and 75; lower or higher and no fermentation occurs, just spoilage. In the low 70s, fermentation completes in 3-3.5 weeks; in the upper 50s about 5.5-6 weeks. Fermentaton starts usually within 24 hours.

Did you get good brine formation soon after mixing the salt into the cabbage and pressing on it in the container? The exuded water must cover the cabbage. (Because of this, quantities of less than 10 lbs cabbage can be problematic.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kevin Has it dead on here with his directions. I use Sea Salt and stick to the 3 Tablespoons salt per 5 lbs of cabbage. I did a side by side one year on different salts. One crock I used Kosher the other I used Sea Salt, the Sea Salt won hands down in flavor. I know it's all salt but that was my findings. Plastic is ok to use, my last batch I made in a 15 gal beer fermentor that I have. Also when this stuff starts to ferment you'll know it. It gives off a strong odor, that one will notice. One thing left out is for best results you need to pound the cabbage. I shred the heads of cabbage then weigh out 5 lbs. Take 1/3rd of it and place into your container, sprinkle 1 TBS salt and pound it till it has alot of juice, this makes for a chrunchy finished kraut. Repeat with another 1/3rd and salt. I just eyeball the 1/3rd of cabbage. With you doing only such a small amount that can be a problem. Too much salt and little or no fermentation will occur. Too little and the cabbage will spoil. If one needs to make more brine to cover the cabbage, then use a ratio of 1 TBS salt to one quart of water for a brine. One other thing is the cabbage still fresh looking (white) or did it take on a opaque look (clear) to it? Shawn W from this forum taught me how to make it, Thanks Buddy.
icon_cool.gif

T.J. Here's a link that might help out. Has alot of info in it for Homemade Kraut.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks, Bryan, I appreciate your insight. I'm still a little unsure of what went wrong with my teeny lil batch though. I'll try sea salt in the next batch, and try a bigger batch.

One thing I'm unsure of though, is what is it SUPPOSED to taste like? Like I've said, I've never had homemade kraut before. I've only tasted store-bought kraut, which is obviously either pasteurized or processed, and I'm sure this lends a different taste from homemade. What I've got is tasty, it has a sour flavor, but also a fresh, cole-slaw-like cabbage flavor. I tried to follow along the lines of online recipes, but also didn't want to make a big batch just to mess it up. So I went small, and I'm not sure if what resulted is normal, or if I did something wrong.

EDIT: I did press it pretty good with a 'tater masher. Currently, it looks mostly like shredded fresh cabbage in brine. Did I over-salt it?

TJ, by your description I'd say it sounds like the fermentation stopped for some reason. Too much salt or too cold of temps or a combination of both. Try adding some water, say 1/2 cup to start, mix it up, put some saran wrap over the bowl and secure with a rubber band. Move it to a warmer location and see if the fermentaion picks up any. Or you can eat it, or toss it out and try it again.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the help, I'll give that a shot.

EDIT: Bryan, your advise seems to be working well! I kept it in the same location, as the measured temp never fell below 60F. But I did add a little water and mixed it around, and it's bubbling slightly, and turning more translucent and "kraut like". I didn't taste it yet, but it's looking like it's doin what it's supposed to now!

Back