Hot Cocoa

Gerry D.

TVWBB Pro
I been thinking about toying around with a hot cocoa recipe. Last winter I used this recipe:

Hot Cocoa
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Prep Time: 5 min
Inactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time: --
Level: Easy
Serves:
5 1/2 cups dry mix

Ingredients
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup cocoa (Dutch-process preferred)
2 1/2 cups powdered milk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or more to taste
Hot water

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and incorporate evenly. In a small pot, heat 4 to 6 cups of water.

Fill your mug half full with the mixture and pour in hot water. Stir to combine. Seal the rest in an airtight container, keeps indefinitely in the pantry. This also works great with warm milk.

This year I'm thinking of substituting ancho powder for the cayenne and adding some cinnamon or clove. I also like to add bailey's irish cream and chocolate liquer to it, so it a bit more warming.
icon_wink.gif

I'm thinking about adding a 1/4 teaspoon of each so I don't overwhelm anything. Maybe 1/8 teaspoon of clove.

Any other ideas? How does my method sound? I would hate to mix it up not like it.

Well, you could mix up a half portion and see, first.

Cinnamon works well with chile, with clove it depends, but it's not a spice I'd see here. I might go with 1/2-1 tsp powdered chile (probably guajillo mixed with ancho) and a 1/4 tsp cinnamon. Powder the chile and the cinnamon very finely.

Me, I'm not a big cocoa fan. I prefer hot chocolate. (In the process of making cocoa the fats are removed - which removes the richness - something I miss.If you'd like to give this Mayan version a shot:

2 cups boiling water

1 guajillo chile, halved, seeds removed

5 cups whole, low-fat or nonfat milk, or light cream or half-and-half

1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise

1 3-4" cinnamon stick

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (Mexican if you can get it, if not use your favorite)

2 tablespoons honey or sugar, or to taste

l tablespoon almonds, ground extra fine

Homemade whipped cream

In a medium pot over medium-high heat, add chile pepper to boiling water; cook until liquid is reduced to 1 cup. Remove the chile pepper and discard; strain water and set aside.

Meanwhile, in another medium pot over medium heat, combine milk or cream, vanilla bean and cinnamon stick until bubbles appear around the edge. Reduce heat to low then add chocolate and sugar or honey; whisk occasionally until chocolate is melted and sugar dissolves. Turn off heat and remove the vanilla bean and cinnamon stick. Add chile-infused water, a little at a time, and taste as you go for potency, stopping when the flavor is suitable. If chocolate is still too thick, thin with a little more milk. Whisk with a molinillo, hand whisk, or immersion blender, if desired. to make the chocolate foamy.

Serve in small cups and, on the side, serve the ground almonds along with the whipped cream.

Back