Pastry or glazing brushes

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
It's time for me to replace my pastry, egg wash, heavier glazing, and other kitchen brushes. The silicone is OK in rare occasions, but I'm looking for better brushes.

Anyone have suggestions? Go to an art store? Boar bristles, other?

How does one sanitize them?

Rita

I have a couple of boar bristle brushes that I'm happy with. For pastry work, I prefer them to silicone. Cleaning: hot soapy water; agitate by hand, rinse well and if you can, hang 'down' so the water drips away from handle when drying. A soak in a little white vinegar and hot water solution periodically will help if you need further cleaning/disinfecting. The thorough drying is really important. I never send them through the dishwasher; I think it will mess up the bristles.

Paul

I buy the cheap, natural bristle paint brushes from Home depot. They are soft, wooden handle, easy to clean in hot soapy water and CHEAP!!!!
I have bought the silicone to try and I really don't like the texture. Natural bristles for me.

I have several boar and badger shaving brushes, I was thinking of trying one for sauce/glaze.

Mark

Don't like the silicone for this purpose either. I have the boar hair ones. I clean by wetting them with water first, apply a drop or two of DW liquid and work it into the bristles by hand well first then rinse in hot water. Dry with a paper towel.

Thank you, Paul, Mark, and Ray. I'll check the bristle brushes out. I've looked at some and find that there is a big difference in flexibility. Some are too stiff to use for glazing proofed rolls, for example, but not too stiff for glazing ribs.

Rita

Mine were the softer type, bought them at cooking supply/outlets. I actually have a couple different sizes in round and flat.

Back