If you're looking for a GREAT coffee maker

I've had that too, since December 2007. Drinking from it right now
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the post/reference. Waiting for my current maker to die. Techivorm, wasn't really conviced the investment was worth it for me. This has looked like a good option last I looke.

Great to have some empirical feedback from folks actually using one (Zojirushi).

For some reason thought they were discontinued.

I have no doubt in your statement that this Zoji is a quality coffee maker. My father -in-law has a Zojirushi rice maker that he swears by.

My only comment is that I have doubts that the coffee maker itself is really all that important to the taste of the coffee. Certainly the beans themselves are significantly more important to the taste of the coffee. Then, the amount of beans you use. You have to use enough. If you try to skimp on the beans, then the last portion of water through the beans will draw off bitter flavors. I learned that from Alton Brown on an ep of Good Eats.

zojirushi makes fantastic rice cookers, well worth the $300 price tag.

i'll have to remember to check out their coffee makers if our gevalia ever dies

Hi Darrel-
You're absolutely right about the beans(type of and quantity, freshness and grind)being very important. The quality of the water you use is important too. If your tap water has a taste to it (our town's is pretty neutral) then you should use bottled water for the best cup of coffee. Where the brewer is concerned, it needs to get to 195-205 degrees for "proper extraction" of the beans and should take about 4.5-5 minutes to run through. I can tell you that our "Z" takes the allotted time to brew but truthfully I cannot tell you what the temp of the water is. What I can tell you is that the coffee that I drink from it on the weekends (not home for it during the week) is MUCH better than anything I drink during the week and that includes the ocasional cup from "Charbucks".

I decided that the TechniVorm WAS worth the price - only $1 per day for the first year. It definitely makes the BEST coffee.

I never found really great coffee locally roasted, so I also roast my own coffee beans. But there is a simpler alternative.

In the last year I found a source of excellent coffee, also at excellent prices. I recommend Jeff Pentel, who runs RedBird Coffee in Bozeman MT. I buy about 5 pounds of espresso beans from him every 6 months - at only $52 delivered to my door.

They have to be the best - check out the street address shown on the coffee I got today:
3130 Prairie Smoke Rd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon K:
and you have a problem spending $300 on a Technivorm, this is the answer. We've had it for 2 years and it makes a great pot of coffee.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...CMQ/thevirtualweberb </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I looked at the reviews on coffeegeek, and it appears it suffers from the usual problem - The water is not at 200 degrees.

One of the reviewers suggests a fairly simple fix to improve the temperature to about 195 degrees.

I'm such a geek so I just stuck my OXO instant read dg therm into the brewing chamber and the temp got up to 198f w/no fixes.

I haven't checked my brewing temp for years but I meant to, just keep forgetting. Maybe I'll set the thermometer on top so I remember.

I have a little trick for when I'm making just one "cup" (~20 oz): I'll fill the basket with 2 scoops (2 T I think), fill the water reservoir to ~3.5 on the water level gauge, turn it on & set my timer for >5 minutes and let it brew without the carafe in place.

The water almost completely fills the basket & just sits there, kind of french press style. After enough time I'll stick the carafe under there without the lid and press the pause & serve button spring w/ the carafe's edge while filling it. (it'll flow too fast & overflow the carafe if the lid is on when you do it like this)

makes a good 'single' refill cup.

I really like the solid, functional design of the Technivorm. I only wish that they made a model with a programmable timer.

My wife and I like to wake-up to fresh-brewed coffee. We grind the beans and set-up our timer-equipped Krups the night before. I know you lose a little flavor by letting the ground beans sit-out overnight, but I find it hard to believe that the difference would be THAT huge.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron G.:
My wife and I like to wake-up to fresh-brewed coffee. We grind the beans and set-up our timer-equipped Krups the night before. I know you lose a little flavor by letting the ground beans sit-out overnight, but I find it hard to believe that the difference would be THAT huge. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The difference is noticeable. Coffee Geeks refer to Babbie's Rule of Fifteens:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI> Roasted coffee beans should be ground within 15 days, or they go stale.
<LI> Ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes, or it goes stale.
[/list]
My sister has a coffee maker with the timer, etc. She uses the same coffee beans that I do - and she ALWAYS notices the difference when she has coffee at my house. BUT - she won't give up the convenience of waking up at 5 AM with the coffee already pre-made for her.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick G:
The difference is noticeable...

My sister has a coffee maker with the timer, etc. She uses the same coffee beans that I do - and she ALWAYS notices the difference when she has coffee at my house. BUT - she won't give up the convenience of waking up at 5 AM with the coffee already pre-made for her. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess that for my morning wake-up coffee - I side with your Sister. Doing it all fresh is probably better, but in grinding good beans the night before, it's still pretty decent. The trade-off is worth having a hot pot ready when we wake up.

The best coffee in my house is made on Weekend mornings when I am not rushed to get to work. It simply comes from a Stove-top Peculator by Farberware. Peculator coffee to me is hands down the best. And the aroma is addicting.

We've had our Technivorm since 2007, still makes great coffee, my only complaint still being that it's a bit of a pain to clean inside the carafe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Sean S.:
We've had our Technivorm since 2007, still makes great coffee, my only complaint still being that it's a bit of a pain to clean inside the carafe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have a simple solution for that - use Cafiza, or some other espresso machine cleaner. I use it once per week.

I put 1/4 teaspoon in and "brew" a full carafe. Let it sit for 45 minute, then rinse thoroughly. Then repeat the process, but without the cleaning agent. This cleans all parts of the Technivorm, and is pretty painless.

I'm with Steve we've been using the same coffee percolator at the cottage for over 40 years and it makes better coffee than any other machine or coffee shop I've tried. At home we use a simple press.

We use an old freebie 12 cup programmable from Gevalia for every day - had it for years. We also have a Keurig - wife and stepdaughter love it but I'm lukewarm about it.
Have started looking at replacement for Gevalia but not seriously yet. Saw a Kitchenaide 12 cup programmable stainless steel in a kitchen store last week that I liked.
Freshness of the bean, grind, quality of water, etc. is most important to a good cup. I get more concerned about this on the weekend when I can do my own grind. Have gone to Chock Full of Nuts "Chock Full of Nuts ... The heavenly coffee ... A better coffee millionare's money can't buy." as the every day grind.
PS - I set up the Gevalia before I go to bed. Set for 04:15. Wife is up at 04:30 weekdays. I reheat and drink what is left in the pot when I get up at 08:30 - 09:00.

We use our Keurig throughout the day for single cups, but our first cup of the day ALWAYS comes from our Cuisinart Grind and Brew. Put beans in the sealed hopper the night before, set the timer and go to bed. At 7:00am it turns on, grinds the beans and brews a pot into the carafe at 195 degrees on the dot. Coffee is ready at 7:10 and it's oh so good. I love percolators and French presses, but not the work associated with them early in the morning.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi...PHC/thevirtualweberb

Back