1/2 c pure chili powder **
1/2 c paprika
1 Tblsp dried thyme
1 Tblsp garlic powder
1 Tblsp onion powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice

Mix well.
Generously salt the brisket (or salt to taste), then apply the rub.

* I think a moderately dark roast preferable for the beans, such as an espresso roast, rather than a very dark like dark French.

** I use straight ground guajillo or ancho mixed with a bit of cayenne. If a commercial blend is all you have by all means try that.

I modified this for a recent cook and liked it better.

1/4 c coffee, ground into a powder from fresh beans

1/4 c cocoa (Dutch-processed)

1/2 c Moskovado dark brown sugar

1/4 c ground Ancho pepper

1 Tbls dried thyme

1 Tbls onion powder

1 Tbls ground New Mexico hot chili powder

1 Tbls garlic powder

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp ground marjoram

1/4 tsp ground allspice

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

several turns of a black pepper mill

The Mod for Todd (for tri-tip or thick beef or bison steaks)

3 T coffee, ground into a powder from fresh beans

1 T unsweetened cocoa (Dutch-processed, if possible)

1 T Moskovado dark brown sugar (or regular dark brown, or light)

2 T ground Ancho pepper

1 Tbls dried thyme

1 Tbls granulated onion

2 t ground New Mexico hot chili powder (or use 3 t Aleppo, or use 1 t cayenne)

1 Tbls granulated garlic

1 tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp ground marjoram

1/4 tsp ground allspice

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

I salt the meat first, both sides, somewhat generously, as it comes up to room temp. After 15 min or so the salt will draw some moisture and the rub will stick fairly well. I do this with all my rubs so that the rub amount can be anything I desire. Salting separately means that the salt level is fixed at whatever I've applied--the rub amount can vary without concern as to the meat becoming too salty.

Note: If not using smokewood and if smoky notes are desired, sub some ground chipotle for the hot chili powder and/or some smoked paprika for the Ancho.

Kevin, again a very interesting rub. I have tried a Jamacan with allspice rub...I was not real fond of the result. Of coarse you go at it from 180* different-coffee and cocoa! There is much to learn.

I might try it using muscovado sugar (natural dark brown sugar--verrry earthy and chocolately and tobacco-y) instead of the light brown sugar, just to add another layer of complexity.

Susan--you're right, of course. I'd actually been sure I had some in the pantry--but it's not there. My guess is that we ran out of regular sugar while I've been gone and the dark was 'borrowed' in the interim. Someone is often not on the ball when it comes to prompt replacing of sweeteners, in particular. I'm still needing to find thyme honey that disappeared last month. 'Layer of complexity' is what I'm playing with--precisely--in this type of rub.

S--much to learn, much to play with, if you like that sort of thing. I do. It's why I cook: the learning and the playing.

This rub tastes very different mixed and fresh than applied and cooked, the disparity moreso than others, imo. I love allspice, but it--like other stuff--can overwhelm. I like it adding to the depth here. Was the Jamaican thing you tried a jerk rub/mix?

Chris posted: Jamaican Spice Rub from Cook's Illustrated. Search here for it. This rub is about the only one I have mixed up and NOT used up.

Found it. Were I to tweak it--if you're interested--I'd add 2 Tbls of onion powder, 2 Tbls thyme, up the cinnamon to 2 tsp (if store-bought; if top quality I'd cut it to 1 tsp), cut the coriander to 1 Tbls, cut the ginger to 2 tsp, cut the allspice to 1 tsp, and cut the nutmeg to 1/2 tsp (a scant 1/4 if freshly grated).

You mind never stops when it comes to creating interesting flavors. Thanks for the thoughts...I'll try the coffee/cocoa rub first.

I wonder if anyone else tried that Jamaican rub with success?

I modified this for a recent cook and liked it better.

1/4 c coffee, ground into a powder from fresh beans

1/4 c cocoa (Dutch-processed)

1/2 c Moskovado dark brown sugar

1/4 c ground Ancho pepper

1 Tbls dried thyme

1 Tbls onion powder

1 Tbls ground New Mexico hot chili powder

1 Tbls garlic powder

1 tsp ground ginger

1 tsp ground cumin

1 tsp ground marjoram

1/4 tsp ground allspice

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Kevin, I thought I'd try this over the weekend on St. Louis ribs. Any mods you'd care to suggest? Or should I just go light on the rub for ribs? I thought a raspberry-chipotle sauce would be interesting on it. Thanks - Gary

Giving this rub a go today. Didn't have onion powder, and I accidentally used 3/4c cocoa powder. But I don't anticipate it's nearly enough to derail this rub. This is right up my alley. For the pure chili powder, I ground up a bunch of ancho and guajillo peppers in my spice mill.

i'm going to do a 12 lb. brisket on my Performer tomorrow, going the high heat route.

Does anyone anticipate there being an issue with me patting the brisket dry tonight, and applying the rub, then letting it sit in the fridge overnight?

Kevin, what do you think about using this as a rub for pulled chuck roast? I've been slowly testing the waters in beef country, and I can't ignore all the positive reviews of chuckies on this site.

Thanks!

Hi Hayden..

Didn't see anyone reply to your question about an overnight cure with K Kruger's rub so I took a chance presumably as did you? My brisket is on the Weber now after about 18 hours in the rub/fridge. Probably going to have to go to the oven soon since the equipment I'm using here (not at home) is yielding great smoke but not much heat.. and I didn't plan the time needed for that kind of a (usually great) experience. So, I'm going to foil it up in some mop and be done with it in about 4 hours.

This was terrific. Thanks for the great idea for something off the beaten TX path.

I also found the following mop and finishing sauce that complimented K Kruger's recipe very well:

Mop:

1 cup beer
1 cup apple cider
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup coffee
1/3 cup beef or chicken stock
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Tabasco (used chipotle since it made sense to me)
2 teaspoons salt or more to taste
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

SAUCE:
1 slice bacon, finely chopped
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup brewed strong coffee or espresso
3/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup heavy cream
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

I'm glad you like it.

For you and the above posters: I have no idea why i did not get a notification when you all posted to this thread but I didn't. Just now noticed.

Yeah, the beaten Texas path tends to be salt and pepper only, or maybe with a little cayenne added. Too boring for me! I've not made this rub in some time but just bought a brisket today.

After seeing JS Mcdowell's beef ribs I decided I am doing some soon, assuming this would be a nice rub for beef ribs. Any thoughts?

Back