WSM vs Summit Kamado

Good video. I commented this on it. "Great video but I am not surprised at the results especially without added wood. Less cook time on the WSK=less smoke, less taste, less tenderness. Would have liked to seen how much coal was left on the WSK at the end also. Keep up the good work."

I enjoy his videos, but that wasn't a very good comparison. I have no idea how he managed to run out of charcoal mid cook on the WSM, but that didn't effect the cook. In fairness that was his 2nd cook on it, though. The tenderness is all when you take it off and I don't think it had anything to do with either cooker. I would expect better smoke flavor from the WSM, but they said it was a wash. Beef ribs are a weird cook to do a comparison. I've found the quality of beef ribs vary a lot even on different ribs of the same rack. On rib might be great, and the next too fatty and rich to eat.

I enjoy his videos, but that wasn't a very good comparison. I have no idea how he managed to run out of charcoal mid cook on the WSM, but that didn't effect the cook. In fairness that was his 2nd cook on it, though. The tenderness is all when you take it off and I don't think it had anything to do with either cooker. I would expect better smoke flavor from the WSM, but they said it was a wash. Beef ribs are a weird cook to do a comparison. I've found the quality of beef ribs vary a lot even on different ribs of the same rack. On rib might be great, and the next too fatty and rich to eat.
the weather was quite rough up here. he's not too far from me, physically. so the winds, IMO ate up his WSM coals, further the WSM at 22 eats more fuel when ambient temps are colder and windy, which were both the case.

having had and cooked on both a WSM and now a WSK, the WSK, IMO, can add more smoke to food than a WSM due to the smaller chamber. but to each their own. WSM is a single mode cooker. WSK is multi-mode.

my WSK briskets have been met with rave reviews over the past few years. more so than my WSM days. but i've also improved in my skill set.

and beef ribs are our least favorite cook. briskets are a much bigger win for fam and friends. then cubano pork butt is a fave here too.

Last edited:
The WSK seems to have a better design than standard ceramic kamados which I'd expect to be too efficient. I think you'd get better smoke than a ceramic as well. The WSM will no doubt use more charcoal, but I've only run out if I didn't put enough in to begin with. I'll put in a full 20 pound bag and mound it up for something like a long brisket cook. You are probably right about the wind, though.

Kenyatta smoked some beef ribs a couple of months ago on his LSG offset, I wish he would have added that to this review, however that wouldn't have been an apples to apples comparison.

I've seen a few videos like this and usually the WSM wins with comments of
1.Better flavor (slightly)
2. Slightly Juicier

I chalk the second one up to being further distanced from the fire as it cooks. All in all its very good whether it's a WSM, a Summit, a 26 inch kettle.

By far the biggest advantage one has over the other is portability which is made up of three factors.
1. Size
2. Weight
3. Cool down time
The tripod summit is listed at 132 pounds, no table, and has roughly a similar footprint to the Ranch kettle( ranch has a straight up and down frame, summit slopes out). That aside, the WSM is a dedicated smoker while the summit is a multi purpose grill. As long as we're burning charcoal, it's good. (y)

I agree with your comments regarding the WSM distance from the fire, however I am not sure what portability has to do with taste, this review was not about a BBQ competition. Regardless, even at competition BBQ you will have portable smokers as well as others who have ability to bring +1/2 ton stick burner offsets.

I've seen a few videos like this and usually the WSM wins with comments of
1.Better flavor (slightly)
2. Slightly Juicier

I chalk the second one up to being further distanced from the fire as it cooks. All in all its very good whether it's a WSM, a Summit, a 26 inch kettle.

By far the biggest advantage one has over the other is portability which is made up of three factors.
1. Size
2. Weight
3. Cool down time
The tripod summit is listed at 132 pounds, no table, and has roughly a similar footprint to the Ranch kettle( ranch has a straight up and down frame, summit slopes out). That aside, the WSM is a dedicated smoker while the summit is a multi purpose grill. As long as we're burning charcoal, it's good. (y)
I’d challenge the juicy part. I’ve done whole packer briskets at 240°F for 6 hours then wrapped and finished to 200+. Juicy AF.

I won’t challenge the portability because you’re spot on. WSM wins for any portable cook, meaning leaving your home or backyard. The WSK is easily moved around a stable deck or concrete.

1708651653187.jpeg

1708651686125.jpeg

1708651780335.png

I’ll take a plate of that any day Brett.

With this last several years of opinions and data I have learned to take all opinions with a grain of salt.
I kinda dig the direct heat flavor that a wsm can give but most people don’t cook that way.
I don’t see why it would be any juicier than the wsk.

I’ll take a plate of that any day Brett.

With this last several years of opinions and data I have learned to take all opinions with a grain of salt.
I kinda dig the direct heat flavor that a wsm can give but most people don’t cook that way.
I don’t see why it would be any juicier than the wsk.
Thank you. I have tried to be very transparent with my WSK and cooks. I feel the WSK gets a bad rap from those who’ve never had food off of one or cooked with one.

I’ve tried to do many experiments and different types and styles of cooks to demonstrate the WSKS versatility.

Someone’s video alone on YT doesn’t sway me.

Personally I believe I can out cook many of these YT talking heads. But that’s not my day job nor my life goal(s).

I just serve it straight up with what I can and cannot do. Coming off a WSM directly to my WSK I was beyond happy with my choice and decision.

I still feel for how and what I like to cook, my WSK is the best Weber I’ve ever owned and used. And that’s dating back to 1991, briqs on a Smokey Joe Tuck N Carry. Best college wings and burgers bbq ever.

The WSK is most certainly on my shortlist of BBQ / Smokers post retirement at the end of the year. I’m not sure my 22 WSM is. I suspect I’ll give it to my son, he runs it well and he too is less than thrilled with Pellet Grills. We bought him a Blackstone a couple years ago, that too is on my shortlist

I’d challenge the juicy part. I’ve done whole packer briskets at 240°F for 6 hours then wrapped and finished to 200+. Juicy AF.

I won’t challenge the portability because you’re spot on. WSM wins for any portable cook, meaning leaving your home or backyard. The WSK is easily moved around a stable deck or concrete.

View attachment 86820

View attachment 86821

View attachment 86822
Of course "juiciest" is also dependent on the individual cut of meat. While several variables are at play, I was trying to reduce it to an apples to apples logical reason of why... that being positioned further away from the direct fire the less of a drying out effect (if any) there would be.

I've also gotten perfectly juicy results off my 22 inch kettle, so again I'm not knocking or saying any one is bad... thats why I predicated my statement on the juiciest to any difference being minor or almost unnoticeable at best, hence the word "slightly". Every person has their own perception, and as such may mistake the cut of meat for what the cooker is actually doing.

It is impossible to eliminate all variables for videos like these and I was not making an argument to be challenged, just stating that I have noticed more videos like this giving the nod to the WSM. It has simply been around longer and has more content surrounding it. Please don't take my previous post as trying to give the WSK a bad rap.

Sorry for the delay, by the time you sent your reply I had headed for bed.

The WSK is most certainly on my shortlist of BBQ / Smokers post retirement at the end of the year. I’m not sure my 22 WSM is. I suspect I’ll give it to my son, he runs it well and he too is less than thrilled with Pellet Grills. We bought him a Blackstone a couple years ago, that too is on my shortlist
You need to start thinking about an offset smoker, stick burner.

Other than on the offset, I tend to get the best smoker flavor oddly enough on the weber kettle vs. the WSM. One of things I wonder about on the WSK is whether the older diffuser vs. the new one makes any difference. The older one had an air gap and was probably way more expensive to produce. One of the problems I've had in the WSM is the bottom of my briskets getting overcooked. This is easily fixed going fat side down, or using water. I've often thought about replacing the waterpan with two discs with an air gap.

Last edited:
I agree with your comments regarding the WSM distance from the fire, however I am not sure what portability has to do with taste, this review was not about a BBQ competition. Regardless, even at competition BBQ you will have portable smokers as well as others who have ability to bring +1/2 ton stick burner offsets.
The point on portability is its often a more important factor for people considering what they buy. The taste and outcome will be very close as long as the cook doesn't go "full simple jack".

Someone looking to buy a grill or smoker is going to be concerned with the space they have, do they need to store it, do they need or want to move it often, ect. I've run into more questions of people looking to get into bbq while dealing with being in small spaces or apartments.

If the taste is same/similar, what becomes the most important factor?

The point on portability is its often a more important factor for people considering what they buy. The taste and outcome will be very close as long as the cook doesn't go "full simple jack".

Someone looking to buy a grill or smoker is going to be concerned with the space they have, do they need to store it, do they need or want to move it often, ect. I've run into more questions of people looking to get into bbq while dealing with being in small spaces or apartments.

If the taste is same/similar, what becomes the most important factor?
I hear what you are saying & it seems to usually apply more to people who are just getting into this arena. A lot of us on this forum as well as other forums have several grills & smokers, it is almost an obsession, space, we will find it it eventually.

Of course "juiciest" is also dependent on the individual cut of meat. While several variables are at play, I was trying to reduce it to an apples to apples logical reason of why... that being positioned further away from the direct fire the less of a drying out effect (if any) there would be.

I've also gotten perfectly juicy results off my 22 inch kettle, so again I'm not knocking or saying any one is bad... thats why I predicated my statement on the juiciest to any difference being minor or almost unnoticeable at best, hence the word "slightly". Every person has their own perception, and as such may mistake the cut of meat for what the cooker is actually doing.

It is impossible to eliminate all variables for videos like these and I was not making an argument to be challenged, just stating that I have noticed more videos like this giving the nod to the WSM. It has simply been around longer and has more content surrounding it. Please don't take my previous post as trying to give the WSK a bad rap.

Sorry for the delay, by the time you sent your reply I had headed for bed.
We’re all good. I don’t take much, if anything personally anymore. I’m here for a good time, not a long time.

Carry on and make some good food. Weather is slowly warming up here so I’m looking forward to more grilling and bbq’ing. And wine tasting too.

Back