WSM thoughts after about 20 cooks

CGariepy

TVWBB Fan
First of all I love this thing... Actually I think it could go for 20 hours, or close on a load...

at first, it ran a tad hot, but now it actually pretty predictable on how long it takes to get set up, lit, and dialed in.

I have done, ribs, pork butt, pork chops, sausages (various types), brisket flat, baked beans, tenderloin bites, pork tenderloin.............etc.

the first few were ok, then I butchered a few (I wish I had a dog), and then nailed some good ones.

This local restaurant we go to for BBQ sort of got me into the smoking thing as they have awesome dry rub baby backs and they are crazy good. I have tried to replicate their ribs and have been close the last two times.

I did make some killer ribs last weekend and loved em, like really loved em...we went back to the Q place on Sat night and I did order the ribs.....I can't believe what I said to my wife after I had their Q again.

"I like my ribs better" now that's a good feeling. I think this summer made me gain 10 lbs but boy it was worth it.

Over & Out, gonna smoke some brats tomorrow.

chris

My 22 WSM rocks! It's always given me exactly the temperature I want. The rubs, sauces and cooking methods are a whole different story, that's where the wins are. It is a wonderful learning experience. Great feeling when it all clicks. Keep track of everything. I have a log book and print out all the steps on all the cooks and put them in the book.

Glad it's all coming together for you! I'm still behind you by about 15 cooks :).

See, that did not take long, I think that most of us who do this like our own better than the Q place, it means that we have
got our methods and techniques just right. Sounds like you are right there too.

I've got my mini dialed in and have been very pleased with it and I've done about 15 cooks on it. I just bought a 18.5 off of CL and the first cook will be this week, of course Barb is going to do that, go figure, so I guess my first shot will next week.
Hope I'm (and Barb too) as successful as all you experienced chefs are.

Back