Why I Love My WSM

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Yesterday,I put a butt on for pulled pork at Pammi's school today. I got to thinking about it and couldn't remember cleaning the smoker after a cook a while ago. Opening it up,I discovered a nasty science experiment! Wooo! Time for a cleansing burn! A chimney full of K,along with some more dumped on top. I opened all the vents,cracked open the door and offset the lid. In less than 20 minutes,I had the thermometer pegged all the way past the top! Let it burn for about three hours,then shut the vents and door to smother it. I then cracked the vents and added a full load of K. Added the butt,let temps settle for about 30 minutes and went to bed. Got up this morning and the butt was beautiful and temps were holding at 225*. I let the butt rest and pulled at and got rave reviews. Of course.
Now for the reason I love my smoker. I initially lit the smoker at noon yesterday. The butt went on at 6:30 last night. I just took some dogs off the Genesis and noticed this.
927DBA1B-8A11-4A20-9064-BC6EFEBBF964_zpsvnlkzpqi.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Yep. 30 plus hours after I lit it,it still had heat! I even put my hand on it. Still warm! Well done Weber!

geeze , you coulda cold smoked some cheese !
Yeah. Good job wasting heat, Phil! :)

I love hearing stories of people loosing sleep using their stick burner. I tell them I put the meat on and go to bed. Wake up and still holding temp. Don't get me wrong; a well made stick burner is great, just more effort to use/learn. I keep saying I'll get one then I ask myself why? Think of all the meat I could buy instead for the cost. Prime packers for a year!!

Phil.
You had me thinking there.
After I finished my cook last night, 6:30pm, I left all the vents wide open to burn off the small amount of briquettes left.
9:30am this morning. Still warm @ 100*. 17hrs after starting. The shed is nice and cozy too.

I have the same therm in the lid of my wsm. I love that thermometer and my wsm too. My wsm is 24 years old and still cooks like new!

Back