which Weber performer?

CGariepy

TVWBB Fan
Looking at the two models, I think it's the premium vs the deluxe......

debating if I should spring for the gas ignition or not.....

seems like the charcoal would get lit and ready in an uneven fashion, or am I overthinking it?

any input from performer owners. there is a local hardware store with some deals now.

Thanks a bunch

chris:greenperformer:

just read the nice thread below relating to this........sorry I didn't scroll down before the post.

chris

I have two performers both with gas ignition and they are what got me back into charcoal. Almost as easy as a gasser but much more fun.

I have a performer and rarely use it BUT I use the gas ignition all the time to start the WSM and my 26.75. It works great and get the coals going quicker than with the lighter cubes. I should mention however I am using a chimeny and not starting the coals on the charcoal grate of the performer. If you get the gas assist performer get a chimney so you ca. Get the coals going a little faster and also place them in the kettle where you want them. If you use a weber chimeny I would suggest reversing the cone in the chimeny to put the coal closer to the gas assist and an added benifit of holding more coal too. Anyway it performer is a great cooker you can't go wrong with either version of it.

Do yourself a huge favor and buy the gas ignition. Starting the coals takes about 5min with gas on than a 15min burn with gas off and Walla your ready to start cooking. No fuss no muss. Weber got it right when they came out with gas assist. Good luck with your choice.

Bill

Definitely go with the gas assist. I put the chimney with paper in the bottom over the burner, light the burner and let it go for about 30 seconds, turn burner off and let the chimney do the work. Much easier than using a lighter.

well I hope I don't sadden the group, but I did buy the weber performer without the gas assist, mainly because at my local walmart they had a sale on it.

This is the same store I bought a WSM 14.5" for $55 about 2 months ago.

in fact if I find a good deal I will buy the other performer toooooo... my wife may kill me if I have a ton of grills.

chris

in fact if I find a good deal I will buy the other performer toooooo... my wife may kill me if I have a ton of grills.

chris

Ha ha. Welcome to the club Chris. I think there are more than a few of us who's wives cringe at the sound of...another weber...

Hi Chris. A few months ago I had the dilema about which performer to buy. Ultimately, I made the same choice that you did and bought the one without the gas assist because Lowes had a huge sale. Just couldn't pass it up. So far, it has served me quite well. It does take a few extra minutes to start th charcoal in the chimney, but I can live with that for all the money that I saved.

I have a Performer with gas assist. I use both cubes or the propane lighter depending on if I have a propane left or not. My biggest issue with propane is that I will occasionally forget about the propane and run it for too long. No harm, just wasting propane. I have learned that in 15 minutes using the cubes i can prep my thighs, pepper skewers and get the potatoes wrapped to throw down below for baking. Buy the one that looks the best on your patio while not hurting your wallet. Craig's List is your friend during the winter for a nice used grill. Bought mine for $120 in perfect shape last year.

seems like the charcoal would get lit and ready in an uneven fashion, or am I overthinking it?

any input from performer owners. there is a local hardware store with some deals now.

Thanks a bunch

I was facing the same decision and decided to skip the gas ignition, spend $30 on my own setup and spend the extra $20 on beer.

I posted it on WKC, but I'll quote it over here for you
While looking to get a Performer I came up with this idea as an alternative to going with the touch and go starter.
Saves a couple bucks, and adds a little versatility.

Rather then spend the $50 on the propane starting system, I picked up the following:

Self igniting torch head - $14.97
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-WT2301-Self-Igniting-Basic-Torch-Head-336737/202539575

Propane cylinder - $2.97
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-14-1-oz-Propane-Gas-Cylinder-304182/202044700

Universal torch extension hose - $14.97
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-WH0159-Universal-Torch-Extension-Hose-334246/202539579

I first simply got the torch, but found that it can be difficult to point downward, especially with a full tank as the flame goes out if the torch head picks up fluid not the gas. I was looking for a new head and found the hose.

XItiKru.jpg

The hose is nice and long, and allows you to get in and light the edges of your coal pile, or the middle.. or...
Basically rather then positioning the coals over the starter and rearranging, you can simply set up your coals however, and light in place.

F2raHIL.jpg

Drilled a hole in the lower lip of the front panel and hung the tank with the belt clip that is provided with the extension hose

So maybe not huge savings, but enough for a hunk of meat or a 12 pack.... and perhaps a little more versatility. Also can be added to other grills.

Just figured I'd share, has worked very well for me so far.
No regrets thus far.

Thanks a bunch

Check your local C/L before shelling out the big bucks.
I found an older stainless Performer w/gas ignition in good shape for $30 off C/L.
I don't use the gas ignition, but it really doesn't matter for that price.

I have a performer with gas assist and I love it. It make using charcoal extremely easy. Also, use it to light chimney for smokers!

Back