Where do you buy your wood?

ChangL

TVWBB Fan
I'm looking to stock up on wood chunks for my smoking. I've noticed the 5lb bags run around 6-8 bucks.
Aside from chopping down my own trees, is there a discount place that we can go for cheap wood for smoking? Or do most of you just buy the bags from Home Depot/Amazon, etc.

Last time I bought some I just got it at Menards. They had Hickory Apple Cherry and Mesquite in 6 or 8lb bags (I forget) in their grill area. The Local Home depot carries Weber so I picked up my pecan chunks there.

I get apple from a neighbours tree or local orchards are a good source. I get red oak from my SIL's wood pile, she buys about 8 cords a year for heating her house. I have birch and sugar maple from my property. I buy mesquite wherever and whenever I can find chunks, Lowes the last time I believe. Hickory is sold in just about all the hardware stores around here. Pecan I need to go to a specialty BBQ store. There are lots of free sources of wood out there if you ask around.

True Value Hardware. Ship to store if you have one near you. If not, you need to find a local supplier. Otherwise, the shipping costs make it hard to get a bargain.

Just me being me.:)
If I spend the money on quality meats and seasonings, than I do the same with smoke-wood, cause that is a spice that you can taste.
I use Smokinlicious. Yep it costs more, but to me it's well worth it:wsm:

Tim

Very fortunate as I have yet to buy wood. I have been able to keep a good supply of Pecan, oak(both red and white), maple, apple, and hickory. Clear cutting, trimming for power lines, and not being afraid to ask when I see broken limbs on the ground have provided plenty of wood for myself and several friends.
Tim

There's a place near you in Orange County.
PM Bob Bass he told of the place but can't remember.

I get my stuff from local orchards and of course hd and lowes.

Fruita Wood Chunks for me. I ordered once from them and I've never went back to the store for wood. Prior to that the best I'd found was the Weber chunks. I usually got them from Ace Hardware.

Chang...

I believe there's a place in the City of Industry or the City of Commerce (not sure which one) that sells smoking woods. We have used wood from the Woodshed in Orange. Also Fruita Wood Chunks.
Or... how about RC's Firewood in Torrance ! Ask for Rick (310)344-8721.

Mostly from Home Dumpo although my neighbor cut down a cherry tree so I'm set for life with cherry. Still looking for some peach that’s reasonable.

I get all my wood from my 200 acre ranch. Mesquite and oak, mesquite used for bbq the oak for the fireplace or fire pit.

I get all my wood from my 200 acre ranch. Mesquite and oak, mesquite used for bbq the oak for the fireplace or fire pit.
Ha ha, if I had a 200 acre ranch I'd get all my wood AND meat from there!

Thanks for the tips, everyone! I'm going to check out that Torrance store as I didn't even know there was a firewood place right near where I live. I was so close to clicking "Buy Now" for a big plastic bag of, um, wood...

+1 on menards. Bag of hickory for $5 I think? Apple/cherry is like $8, but nice size bags.
Menards also sells large 30 or 40 lb bags of hickory logs and huge chunks for about 18 bucks... But I think Menard's is a Minnesota - Wisconsin - Illinois joint... tho' I think they've expanded into Missouri now...
oh geez, after looking at their store locator, they're all over the Midwest

Where is Torrance? ← oh... nevermind

Jim, Torrance is a large, lovely suburb in Southern California.
For all these years, I've only used mesquite chips. Just love the smell of it. I don't want to drop $8 just to try out a new "flavor" of wood, since I enjoy mesquite so much. I wish they sold a sampler pack!

I cut peach and plum from my trees. I get pecan and oak from a buddy's tree. I buy cherry, apple, and mesquite from Blows, Walmart, Gander Mnt, etc.

Back