Where did the baby backs go?

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Hi,

I posted this here because I'm new to the forum and was not sure where the best place to post this would be so here it is.
The question is I can't find BB ribs anywhere in Northern Arizona I've tried all the large chains Frys, Albertsons, Safeway and today I went to the dreaded Wal Mart and to Costco which used to always have them. Albertsons has some but there already seasoned. I can find spareribs, Saint Louis style, Pork loin back rib, but no bb's. Last time I saw any was in April. Am I missing something or is it just here that has the missing BB's.

Rich

costco here in phx/scottsdale was swimming in them this past weekend!

Maybe a road trip for freezer filler trip is in order, first beer is on me!

Thanks for the sugestion Mike but the nearest one is 100 miles away in Phoenix. We live in the Prescott/ Prescott Valley area about 45,000 people, enough for 3 Super Walmarts but not for a butcher shop.

Rich
Walmarts probably put them out of business.:confused::mad:

I recommend you grab those spares, trim them to St Louis style, cook the ribs and trimmings, use the trimmings in some beans and greens, and eat like a king!

I am a BIG FAN of the Costco "Loin back ribs" (they ARE baby back ribs). They are absolutely WONDERFUL when done well. I am partial to the "Best Ribs In The Universe" method.

I use an 18.5" WSM, top grate with a rib rack that will hold six half racks of ribs. They stay within the center of the grate and are evenly cooked from one end to the other (no dried out, over cooked ends).

My close second choice are Costco's St. Louis spares.

FWIW
Dale53

costco here in phx/scottsdale was swimming in them this past weekend!

Maybe a road trip for freezer filler trip is in order, first beer is on me!

Heck Tony, I'll take you up on that offer! I hit the Costco's in Scottsdale or Mesa (and occasionally Chandler for lunch at BJ'S Brewpub) about once a month for that very reason - freezer filler! And I take my 80 QT Coleman cooler just to make sure I have room! After all, it's a long drive back to Payson! :cool:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

Technically you are correct, below is a definition of the difference between loin backs and baby backs. I have found that the baby backs seem to have a somewhat sweeter flavor which I prefer over the loin backs. I have done both at the same time and both I and my wife can taste the difference. I use the same rub and cooking techniques for both.

But any pork ribs seasoned and cooked properly is good eats.

Rich

• Baby back ribs (or loin ribs, back ribs) are taken from the top of the rib cage between the spine and the spare ribs, below the loin muscle. The designation "baby" indicates the cuts are from market-weight hogs (240–270 lbs.), rather than adult hogs (500–650 lbs.). They have meat between the bones and on top of the bones, and are shorter, curved, and sometimes meatier than spare ribs. The rack is shorter at one end, due to the natural tapering of a pig's rib cage. The shortest bones are typically only about 3 in (7.6 cm) and the longest is usually about 6 in (15 cm), depending on the size of the hog. A pig side has 15 to 16 ribs (depending on the breed), but usually two or three are left on the shoulder when it is separated from the loin. So, a rack of back ribs contains a minimum of eight ribs (some may be trimmed if damaged), but can include up to 13 ribs, depending on how it has been prepared by the butcher. A typical commercial rack has 10–13 bones. If fewer than 10 bones are present, butchers call them "cheater racks".

Rich ... Nothing to add really. I get my baby backs at Sams. Costco works too.

I grew up in Prescott. I hope you find those ribs, so that I can drop by on one of my visits!

Rich ... Nothing to add really. I get my baby backs at Sams. Costco works too.

I grew up in Prescott. I hope you find those ribs, so that I can drop by on one of my visits!

Dennis,

Next time you're in Prescott you got to try Lucky's BBQ small little place on hwy 69 right before hwy 169 in Prescott Valley, right before where Youngs farm used to be. Great briscut and ribs. Yelp it and read the reviews.

Rich

Kind of off topic but I am very pleased that my Walmart just started carrying an all natural un-enhanced baby back rib variety.

Try asking the meat guys in Costco and see if they can order you some. Costco is always very accomodating.

Try asking the meat guys in Costco and see if they can order you some. Costco is always very accomodating.

Me and the wife/war department/finance minister are going there tomorrow. Hopefully they may have some in now, if not I will ask.

Sure wish one of the three in our area did, if they just started maybe there is some hope.

Rich

I had been hearing that the folks up in northern Indiana had been finding the un-enhanced baby backs for awhile. We have 3 walmarts near where I live and I just saw them 2 days ago here for the first time. Up until now all we had was smithsfield enhanced ribs.

Back