What to do with all my unused charcoal dust?

ChangL

TVWBB Fan
I have bags of unused fine hardwood/charcoal dust. My remaining Frontier bags from a Lowes sale each have several pounds of it. I hate to see so much go to the trash. Is there any way to salvage these smaller pieces that would otherwise fall through the bottom grates? Does anyone have any method of reusing their brittle, smaller pieces of charcoal?
I've tried poking holes at an aluminum tray, and piling it on there, but the dust usually doesn't get hot enough. Any tested and verified real-world solutions would be appreciated!

Last edited:
I just throw it behind the shed if I have alot. If I have a little, I just spread it in the yard... Dog might chew a little. I was told it has potash in it...

I use 2 charcoal grates on my performer and rotate one 90 degrees from the other, that keeps some of the smaller chunks of lump from falling thru, I still haven't found a use for the charcoal dust, I just toss it out.

You are going to get that using lump.. Some bags more-so than others.
I don't separate, just dump the bag into the ring or chimney, and at the end of the bag if the dust seems excessive, I'll just give the ring or chimney a shake and let that fall into the ash , cause too much of that stuff will snuff out your fire.

Tim

I've tried a number of things others have suggested over the years because it seemed to be a waste to just toss it. After I ran out of holes in my yard and got tired of tracking it in the house from scattering it in different places, I just collect it, pour it is a trash bag, and put it in the trash. Guess I have given up on trying to save the planet one ash pan at a time.

When I was a kid we would grind charcoal into dust, mix it with saltpeter and sulfur to make gunpowder for rockets.
Rockets that never got very far off the ground, but shot down the street in grand fashion.

When I was a kid we would grind charcoal into dust, mix it with saltpeter and sulfur to make gunpowder for rockets.
Rockets that never got very far off the ground, but shot down the street in grand fashion.

Yeah, but that was back in the days when you could ride a bike without a helmet and your parent's WOULDN'T get arrested and charged for child neglect/abuse. Now a days, sadly, something like this would probably bring ATF to your door or at least incur the wrath of the local PD.

Yeah, but that was back in the days when you could ride a bike without a helmet and your parent's WOULDN'T get arrested and charged for child neglect/abuse. Now a days, sadly, something like this would probably bring ATF to your door or at least incur the wrath of the local PD.
I agree Dave, worries about the ATF kept me from giving the ratios.
To be honest, I don't remember the ratios.;)

Did the same except ours was a cast iron sewer pipe with a screw on cap with a hole in it for a fuse. Also involved was a croquet ball that fit the sewer pipe perfectly. Leaned the pipe on a saw horse so the ball would go straight up, light the fuse run like hell. Pipe falls over powder goes off croquet ball goes through neighbors wooden garage door and sticks in the back wall of the garage. End of my days making gun powder.

I use 2 charcoal grates on my performer and rotate one 90 degrees from the other, that keeps some of the smaller chunks of lump from falling thru, I still haven't found a use for the charcoal dust, I just toss it out.

Ah, the 90 degree trick! I'll have to make that big decision of whether to spend $11 on an additional charcoal grate, or $30-40 on another Craigslist grill. Just another reason to say that you can never have too many Webers!

Guess I have given up on trying to save the planet one ash pan at a time.
Yes, I've been there, with my dust mask and goggles, sifting through piles of ashes just to find some small charcoal nuggets, as if they were gold. And right behind me is a stockpile of 200lbs+ of KBB from those Home Depot/Lowes sales. The things I do for love. Or bbq.

Did the same except ours was a cast iron sewer pipe with a screw on cap with a hole in it for a fuse. Also involved was a croquet ball that fit the sewer pipe perfectly. Leaned the pipe on a saw horse so the ball would go straight up, light the fuse run like hell. Pipe falls over powder goes off croquet ball goes through neighbors wooden garage door and sticks in the back wall of the garage. End of my days making gun powder.

Croquet ball? Seriously? You're lucky you didn't kill somebody. ;)

I use the dual charcoal grate trick myself. What falls through ends up in the ash pan and is ultimately dumped for fertilizer in the "south 40" or the garden.

Brush your teeth with it :D

How to make use of Charcoal Dust

Article researched and posted by Maria Nakirya upon request from a CELAC Blog Guest

Charcoal dust is a residue from charcoal. It is that soot black powdery substance normally found at the bottom of charcoal sacks, charcoal selling stores or in the charcoal making areas. It results from the chip offs from the charcoal slates.

Our great grand parents used to brush their teeth with charcoal dust. This was with the help of a coffee branch, a method still used by many in rural areas that cannot afford to buy toothpaste. However, dentists discourage this practice because of health reasons.

They also used charcoal dust to heat their rooms as well as cook food using traditional stoves. This practice continues though on a minute scale, with many homes opting to throw it away. Below are beneficial alternatives for charcoal dust.

You can make banana charcoal. Here you need half (½) bucket of freshly sliced banana peelings, a quarter (1/4) basin of charcoal dust and another quarter (1/4) bucket/basin of fine sand. Thereafter, mix the sliced banana peelings with the charcoal dust, and sand. The banana sap will help to bind them. When still fresh, separate the mixture into smaller desired pieces and then bake them in the sunshine. They are then ready for use. Excess banana charcoal must be stored in a dry place.

You can also make mud charcoal, called briquettes. This is done through combining charcoal dust with mud then compressed into small rectangular blocks. For each amount of charcoal dust, mix with one quarter of mud. Briquettes save on power costs. In Nairobi women use this charcoal for home use and also earn income from sale to others. One 20-litre tin of dust when molded into briquettes is enough for use by an average African family for at least one week.

Charcoal dust is used by a factory in Kenya named “Chardust” to make briquettes that are used in hotels and poultry farms. Their briquettes are also used for grilling, cooking and warming purposes. The dust is brought to the factory which is on the outskirts of Nairobi. Here, 70 employees grind the dust with coffee, rice husks and sawdust into a mix to form the briquettes that burn longer. They are also said to be cleaner than charcoal, are smoke, smell and spark free. This helps conserve the trees.

Charcoal dust has some antiseptic, salt and odor absorbing properties. When sprinkled on freshly cut plants divisions, it can lessen the chance of infection. Whereas some farmers also mix it with soil as a fertilizer especially for vegetable and banana growing, others prefer to mix it with chicken litter and use as a fertilizer on their farms. Charcoal dust is known for its basic carbon component which natural farmers find a good media or substrate for proliferation of beneficial micro organisms in the soil.

Charcoal dust from soft wood can be put on wounds for healing. To use it, sprinkle a thick layer to the wound then tie a linen cloth bandage around. Remove after 1 to 3 days and replace with new dust to for further drying. Its anti corruptive property enables absorption and avoids rotting. It also helps to remove the unpleasant smell of wound. The only disadvantage in use of charcoal dust to heal wounds is that it dirtens the person using it. Also, one has to be careful that the charcoal dust used is not contaminated by harmful bacteria. This therefore calls for its immediate collection after its made and safe keeping.

Also, when applied to the soil, charcoal dust repels ants. Some farmers use charcoal dust to keep the ants, and especially termites away from their mud and stick structures. This is by putting a layer of charcoal dust around the structure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, guys! Perhaps I'll use some stone-age tools and assemble some charcoal briquettes by hand. It might take me several days to make a bucketful of reclaimed charcoal, but hey, when you can squeeze some pennies out of a dusty bag of charcoal, why not???

I find a certain satisfaction making something useful out of something that was going to be tossed. Go for it and be sure to share your results :)

I only use lump charcoal for certain uses (my SJ, as a for instance). Because of the waste (( bought a bag of lump the other day and found a fist sized rock in it - it was black and looked like a piece of lump, but it's weight gave it away:rolleyes:). At any rate, I don't generally use lump. I am a Kingsford Original fan and never buy except when the sales are on. I often buy 400 lbs. at a time to make sure I don't have to pay full price. With Kingsford, I always get what I expect - a full bag of charcoal briquettes that burn very consistently. No, I do not have a financial arrangement with Kingsford, I just like the stuff, that's all.

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back