what is your favorite cooking oils, and what do you use them for?

David-B

TVWBB Super Fan
my parents and grandparents mainly used lard (until crisco came about) And now lard may not be as bad for you as once thought and the idea of veg oil being better was false ( its really soybean oil ?), mainly what got me started on research was hearing how canola oil is really not that great... I dont use alot of oil or even fry food that often but wondered what other people's go to oil was for specific foods

mine would be - egg - butter over low heat
steak-olive oil over medium-high heat and also browning chicken... would avocado be better ? clarified butter?

I do use canola and veg oil here and there for fish frying, and fried chicken but I dont eat those more than twice a year

Butter for browning, olive or avocado oil to slow browning, especially for hotter cooks. I try to stay clear of vegetable, canola
and crisco, but they have their uses.

Bacon grease or coconut for eggs, and general lube
peanut and canola for frying
olive for everything not requiring heat
grapeseed and avocado for seasoning pans

Bacon grease, butter usually. EV Olive oil for the lighter cooking, and Grapeseed for the extra hot stuff, like on the Blackstone.

grapeseed on anything high heat. I even use it on all my grilled meats and veggies. No funky flavor, no smoke. Love it.
Always have bacon grease on hand for that flavor (say Brussels sprouts-fried eggs).

Sunflower oil for deep frying and stir fries,
Olive oil for almost everything else.
I like steak fried in butter, but I hardly ever have butter at the ready.
I do like garlic butter, but alioli (catalan) is a good alternative and uses only garlic, olive oil and a little salt

Bacon grease or coconut for eggs, and general lube
peanut and canola for frying
olive for everything not requiring heat
grapeseed and avocado for seasoning pans
Scrambling your eggs in bacon grease will turn them a very weird color (but they taste good). We usually scramble our eggs separately to maintain the bright yellow color.

Ive been told that veg oil is the devil to your health and canola is only slightly better, and to go back to using lard or avocado-coconut ... Ive also found some differing opinions on EV olive oil---dont get it hot- it's ok to get it hot...IDK, Ive been using it for a long time but mainly just for browning meat over medium heat and when I cook in the dutch oven

anyway I prefer most foods grilled, frying is a rare thing for me

Back