What is needed besides the WSM?

Unless I missed it one thing that wasn't mentioned and it's something you can't buy, it's patience. The WSM has a learning curve to it and when it's new it can be a little hard to control temps until you get a few cooks on it and it gunks up a bit then they're rock steady. Most of all experiment and have fun.

Any suggestions for the first cook? Something that's beginner friendly?

I always recommend chicken or pork butts for the first few cooks. You'll get plenty of "splatter" from either to help you along your way of building up seasoning in the new WSM. Chicken likes the higher heat you are bound to get, and pork butts are VERY forgiving.

I agree with Dwain. Chicken or pork butt. I recommend chicken because it cooks fast compared to a lot of food. I recommend pork butt for your first cook because it is pretty forgiving. You just cook it until 190-205 degrees internally and call it done! Pork butt will take a long time compared to chicken so a good first long smoke.

I think you will like the WSM.
Mine held temperature pretty good on day one and got even better with a few uses.
If a chimney starter is a gadget, I wholeheartedly recommend getting one. Mine is a no name from Home Depot.
As far as real gadgets I really like the Maverick, it is comforting to me to have the temperature alarms and I sleep better not worrying about the cooker running away or dieing in the night.
Cooking style is largely a matter of preference.
I have always cooked with a dry foiled water pan, the extremely easy clean up is well worth giving this a shot.
I have only used Kingsford blue charcoal, I like it, but there are others that feel strongly against it.
It's on sale at Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowes this weekend. I recommend buying some.
Have fun with the WSM.

I second what Dwain said. Both chicken and butts will help get a good foundational seasoning. And Rich's advice is probably the single most inportant item to have- patience.

Foiled pan and a clay saucer from Home Depot. Mine has never seen water. Learned it here along with all other little tricks. Have fun eat well and lots of it.
Bill Mc.

Thanks for all the replies! Finally pulled the trigger:

WSM_zpsfun9qmiq.jpg

Should receive the shipment by June 5th.. can't wait. I couldnt use the links on this site though since I have to go through amazon.ca :(

:wsm22: :cool:

Back