WGA Charcoal Maiden Voyage

Harold C

TVWBB Member
A camping trip to Acadia National Park this week was the first time out with my new WGA charcoal, cast iron grates, and assorted accessories. After cooking exclusively on a Weber kettle for over 35 years, this was my first shot at grilling on this type of small grill. I ended up with a crazy hot fire. I'll back off a little on the charcoal next time and get it dialed in. All in all, a pretty successful first effort -- rib eye steak and grilled summer squash.

The whole rig -- grill, mini-chimney, mini Kingsford Kaddie, Weber table - worked great for camping. The table is awesome. The various Weber portables lock into place so they don't slide off and so the whole thing can be picked up and moved without dumping the grill. Grill was really easy to transport in the car. I dumped the old charcoal before packing it up, but you don't have to. It seals up nicely.

Pretty nice scenery for cooking on a Weber Go Anywhere....

VIRB0374_zps3327c5cf.jpg

wga1_zps4ff5fa0d.jpg

wga2_zps81d7811e.jpg

wga3_zps448ef1b5.jpg

wga4_zpsf1f28ddd.jpg

wga5_zps5f143eee.jpg

WGA6_zps320355c1.jpg

Great scenic pics, along with those great looking steaks. Love that summer squash also. I didn't know you could get CI grates for the WGA. Looks awesome. I have that table too and love it. I know it's made specifically for the JJ and the WGA but I also use it with my Smokey and 14 1/2 WSM, it just doesn't fit as tightly and you have to be a little more careful. Nice job.

The best thing about the table is that it gives you six hooks to hang ALL of your cooking utensils for the duration of the camp!

One, addition I need. I'm spoiled by the room to have a "warming" area on the kettle. Normally, I just grill the squash long enough to get grill marks and them move them off the fire. There's not enough room on the WGA for that. I'm thinking a rectangular foil pan to slide under the grill might be the perfect place to "hold" stuff.

Wow! the scenery is so gorgeous,its looks so relaxing! Steaks look good,must of tasted even better in that gorgeous setting!

Wow! the scenery is so gorgeous,its looks so relaxing! Steaks look good,must of tasted even better in that gorgeous setting!

The single malt scotch I was sipping out of a flask before dinner didn't hurt, either!

Steak is so easy to cook while camping. I had it pre-seasoned and marinating in a freezer bag in the cooler. So straight from the baggie to the grill with no prep. The only dishes to wash were the tongs I used to flip the steak, my folding knife, and my fork.

I just need to get dialled in a little on the balance of fire, temps, and time on the WGA. It's like any grill (or stove for that matter), you get better at it. I used a chimney full of charcoal and then added some more after spreading the coals out. I didn't need to add any. One mini-chimney full would have been fine. This thing was roaring hot.

Last edited:

Back