Weber Performer charcoal bin -- Sealed at top or open?

Tom Henderson

TVWBB Member
I've been lusting for a performer. So far, no luck on CL but I keep hoping...

One question. I see that the Performer charcoal bin tips out for access, but it isn't clear to me if it seals against anything when in the upright/stored position. Is there a top seal, or is it open?

Just wondering if it keeps the charcoal dry. Sometimes it can be a few weeks between cooks for me, so it can take a while to use up a bag...

Just wondering. Any thoughts appreciated!

-Tom in SoCal

It' is open at the top when closed. I don't store my charcoal in it I store my smoking woods in plastic bags in it and if you cover the grill nothing will get into the bin.
I store me surplus charcoal in the garage off of the concrete and have a Kingsford caddy for the backyard that sits under the cover with the genesis 1000 for the charcoal. The caddy is a lot easier to use then digging charcoal out of the performers bin.

Tom I live in So Cal also and leave a bag of charcoal in the Performer bin year round without any problems. I do keep the performer covered when not in use and it sits under a covered patio so water doesn't reach the unit. I hope this helps. Good luck and good cooking.
Bill

I keep a bag of charcoal in the bin and cover the Performer. Even after hard rains, the charcoal is still fine if you don't leave it there too long, and I don't.

If you get a Performer, you will use it far more often than you think. Having said that, I live in one of the most humid places on earth, and my charcoal lasts many months in the bin. Never had a problem with it.

If you get a Performer, you will use it far more often than you think. Having said that, I live in one of the most humid places on earth, and my charcoal lasts many months in the bin. Never had a problem with it.

You're spot on there! When I sold my silver kettle and got the performer I used to go through maybe two or three bags a summer on the kettle, now with the performer I've gone through almost 600 pounds this year. Love that thing!

Back