Weber Genesis vs. Broil King.

Mike Cosgrove

TVWBB Diamond Member
I went to Lowes yesterday to get some charcoal and was checking out the gas grills because Im looking to add a gasser to the stable, the Broil Kings are made in Canada and seem to be high quality for quite a bit less.Does anyone have any experience with these?Your thoughts?

Hi Mike; well I can only tell you that I'm a die hard charcoal guy with several kettles to prove it and late last year I picked up the Weber EP-330 NG and am extremely happy with it. One comparison you can do is look at BK's warranty and compare it to Weber's for the Genesis which I've copied here (this also includes the Summit series).

Aluminum castings 25 years (2 years on paint excluding fading)
Stainless steel shroud 25 years
Porcelain-enameled shroud 25 years
Stainless steel burner tubes 10 years
Stainless steel cooking grates 5 years, no rust through or burn through
Stainless steel Flavorizer® bars 5 years, no rust through or burn through
Porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates 5 years, no rust through or burn through
Porcelain-enameled, steel cooking grates 3 years, no rust through or burn through
Porcelain-enameled Flavorizer® bars 2 years, no rust through or burn through
Infrared rotisserie burner 2 years
All remaining parts 2 years

Mike all I can say is I have a 18 year old Weber Genesis 1000 LX that I bought new and in that time I've replaced the flavorizer bars with aftermarket SS ones and added CI grates, that's it. It still cooks great! We just bought a new home with a NG fitting outside and I was able to find a new NG manifold for it from a parts house, try that with any other 18 year old grill. I've also have bought these off of CL and refurbished them and flipped them. Put them on CL, gone in a day!
Plus the best warranty by far and great customer service.

Hi Mike; well I can only tell you that I'm a die hard charcoal guy with several kettles to prove it and late last year I picked up the Weber EP-330 NG and am extremely happy with it. One comparison you can do is look at BK's warranty and compare it to Weber's for the Genesis which I've copied here (this also includes the Summit series).

Aluminum castings 25 years (2 years on paint excluding fading)
Stainless steel shroud 25 years
Porcelain-enameled shroud 25 years
Stainless steel burner tubes 10 years
Stainless steel cooking grates 5 years, no rust through or burn through
Stainless steel Flavorizer® bars 5 years, no rust through or burn through
Porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates 5 years, no rust through or burn through
Porcelain-enameled, steel cooking grates 3 years, no rust through or burn through
Porcelain-enameled Flavorizer® bars 2 years, no rust through or burn through
Infrared rotisserie burner 2 years
All remaining parts 2 years

I checked it and its similiar, so I dont know which way I'll go, I'll do a little more research before I make a decision, thanks Pete.

Mike from 1992 to 2011 I have owed two Broil King Grills. The last one was a Sovereign with the SS burner lasting seven years before I replaced the burner still operational just not at peak. I cooked on it summer and winter. The other lasted several years as well. Both stored outdoors but under their covers.

Mike,
I would do a little more research as the grills are not going to go anywhere. And the maybe you will get lucky enough to find some one who has one and you can ask real world questions and if he is a true griller he will invite you over to brag about it and you will be able to test it out. One thing I have always been impressed with mine is how even the heat is and how fast it comes up to temp.
Lastly if the difference is not that steep a Weber will do you good for a long time. As a guy I work with said a Weber is like a Ford or Chevy you can always find parts for them.
Home Depot is selling there's now with new propane bottle if you are going the bottle route.

Good hunting Mike, I am sure which ever you buy we see some excellent cooks from the new gasser.
Kevin

Mike, another idea to add to the mix. I have a Weber Genesis Gold C that is about 13 years old. My kids gave it to me for fathers day
way back when. It has SS hood, and grates, with a side burner. It is still using all of its original parts with no replacements needed, with
the exception of the regulator that a squirrel thought would make a fine meal. I see these on CL often priced at $200.00 or less which is
a steal compared to what it cost new, and what the new ones cost, that I dont think are built as well. If its not a gas grill emergency, wait a little
bit and look for a nice used one. They work just like new and clean up nicely.

Thanks guys, craigslist is an option for me, I will try it if I find the right deal but I have trouble dealing with craigslist people.

I hear you Mike

I am very direct when i deal with said craigslist people.

Is the picture you are posting what you are selling?

If so ill pick it up Saturday.

Then i get to there house and work them down, so $150.00 huh, usually that takes $20.00 to $40.00 off the price.

If not i walk and say one more to go 5 miles away from here.

Within 10 steps you have a deal or you go home.

Remember be charming.:)

I hear you Mike

I am very direct when i deal with said craigslist people.

Is the picture you are posting what you are selling?

If so ill pick it up Saturday.

Then i get to there house and work them down, so $150.00 huh, usually that takes $20.00 to $40.00 off the price.

If not i walk and say one more to go 5 miles away from here.

Within 10 steps you have a deal or you go home.

Remember be charming.:)

Sounds like a good plan Jeff.

Mike, I think we are all kind of waiting anxiously on the outcome of this thread! My two cents...just think about what you want to cook on the grill and then go from there. For example, you cant go wrong with a Weber gasser, but given how rarely I use mine, I would have definately sourced from CL rather than buy new (as I did several yrs ago). Good luck!

Mike, I think we are all kind of waiting anxiously on the outcome of this thread! My two cents...just think about what you want to cook on the grill and then go from there. For example, you cant go wrong with a Weber gasser, but given how rarely I use mine, I would have definately sourced from CL rather than buy new (as I did several yrs ago). Good luck!

Thanks Jim, thats the way I was leaning.

I made up my mind and Im getting a Weber q 2200, its a red one exclusive to Ace hardware, I ordered it ship to store and just waiting for it to arrive!:)

Back