Venison Wellington

Joe V

TVWBB Fan
Prepared just like Beef Wellington - but with venison! I started by using a food processor to chop a clove of garlic, 10oz of mushrooms and a handful of almonds. Then I spread the mixture onto four slices of prosciutto. I salt & peppered the venison tenderloin and seared it on all sides in a hot frying pan with olive oil until an internal temp of 130* was reached.

As soon as I removed the seared venison from the pan, I brushed it with Emeril kicked up horseradish mustard and then wrapped it in the prosciutto. Then I placed prosciutto-wrapped venison on a sheet of pastry dough and wrapped it all up in the dough. (I cheated by using Pepperidge Farm frozen pasty dough but it was a work night and corners had to be cut :)

Sprinkled with coarse salt and marked decoratively with the back of a knife its ready for baking at 200* for 30 minutes!

PpguaMU.jpg

Now out of the oven and resting for 10 minutes...

hNlLt0S.jpg

Plated with green beans and butter...yummy!

XX9lQRG.jpg

It was a fun trying to do something a little out of the ordinary with venison and it really was delicious. Thanks for looking! :)

I have always wanted to try a Wellington, but it seems a but intimidating. Yours looks so good, may need to get over that.

Love your butter-to-bean ratio.

The Back straps comes from the skin side of the spine. The tenderloins (much smaller) are from the internal side. I like to eat the tenderloins for breakfast the day after harvesting as a victory meal. Yours look great!

Last edited:
Nice job Joe - very creative! That looks like an elegant meal for a weeknight...

Regards,

John

Joe, I'd say you nailed that one, it looks delicious. Going to have to give that a try.

Back