Using Q240 Inside?

Michael Roberts

TVWBB Fan
I live in a condo with a glassed in balcony. I have french doors from the balcony and windows to open, however, Weber customer service recommends I do not use the Q240 in this setting. Anyone have any experience in using the Q240 inside?

I have no experience with this but if you can open up a bunch of windows on the balcony I don't see why not.
just place the grill near one of the open windows so the smoke goes outside immediately.
weber will say no due to liability issues.
what does the condo management say ?

The 240 is electric correct? So what is the issue? Anyone remember the old Faberware indoor electric grill/rotisserie unit? Heck I use my Q220 in the garage. Open the door and you're out of the rain or snow. When I had it I even used my Q140 on top of my stove. I have a high CFM hood that goes outdoors again no problem other than things were cramped. I would not worry about it. Grill away and be happy

I have an electric grill that's built into my stove top. The only issue is venting the smoke.

I know charcoal indoors is a no no because of Carbon Monoxide. I don't know if an electric grill is, in and of itself, dangerous.

Bill

If you have a small fan it may be needed to help push smoke out the window. Ribeye?

The condo rules prevent the use of propane, charcoal or gas and city code prevents the use of all 3 within 8 ft of a building so electric is my only option. I think if I open the french doors and the windows I should be fine.

Well I took the plunge, got the Q240 and am now waiting on the stationary cart to arrive. It seems to get much better reviews than the rolling cart.

Q240 is here!

YEAH the Q240 and stand has arrived. All assembled and ready for strip steaks Thursday night! I'm a little nervous about cooking on this having grilled on charcoal the past 15 years.

YEAH the Q240 and stand has arrived. All assembled and ready for strip steaks Thursday night! I'm a little nervous about cooking on this having grilled on charcoal the past 15 years.

The steaks will taste great...don't forget to take pics and share with us. :)

After 2 1/2 years of living in a condo I am moving back to a house! While the Q240 has provided many hours of grilling therapy and some darn good food I can't wait to buy my first bag of charcoal!

I'd be more concerned with the condo rules and regs in your case and if the smoke will be a nuisance to others. Most times rules and regs contain language regarding activities that are fire hazards and/or doing anything that effects other owners' enjoyment of their property e.g. BBQ smoke (whether gas or electric).

Also since it sounds as if you're partially enclosed, you would need to be aware of your proximity to any local smoke alarms or worse, local fire alarm devices in your suite. If you're looking for unwanted attention from your board members, set off the building's fire alarm (if present) and have them face a bill from the local FD for preventable alarms.

I have some experience in this area.........just exercise good judgment. Condo living has many advances over detached dwellings, but you have to take the good with the bad.

Last edited:
I have a second place where only electric grills are allowed. I LOVE the electric Weber, especially for fish. Even more than gas for that creature. Electric also does a lovely sear/char marks IF you let it heat up. Of course you do not get the real smoke taste so I cheat - I used smoked salt along with pepper to add flavour. Not as good as gas or charcoal but very, very acceptable.

Back