Two briskets, one 22.5" WSM

John Neuser

TVWBB Fan
Good afternoon everyone. I'm here again seeking information/comments/suggestions from this fantastic pool of knowledge. My wife and I are hosting a Memorial Day family party. I had planned on smoking a full packer. Now I'm thinking I should probably do two and, therein, lies my concern. I've successfully smoked packers in the past but never two at one time. Also, in the past I've smoked them at 225°, wrapped at around 165° in pink butcher paper. The last one took about 18 hours before putting in the cooler. No water in the pan. I already bought one. It's about 18.5# before trimming. I think it will come in around 15 after trimming. So I have a number of questions about cooking two simultaneously. In no certain order:
1. Do I continue to smoke at 225 or should I go to, maybe, 275 because of the meat load
2. Assuming one brisket on the bottom rack and the other on the top, how often should I rotate them
3. Should I continue to foil the water pan or use some water this time
4. If one brisket takes x hours will two take 2x

BTW, if it matters, I'll be using a temperature controller and an expanded charcoal basket.

Thank you to all.

#1, I would go 275
#2 ,about halfway or until the one on top has a good color
#3 No water IMO
#4 Two will take the same as 1 or 3 or 4 it just takes longer to come up to temp.

I agree with timothy.

Also to add about that 225 cooking temperature thing,
I could be wrong but I’m seeing that as out dated information.
Most all the videos on YouTube 5-6 or so years ago were preaching low and slow at 225f but I’m not sure why.
Is there a benefit to that temp or were the “experts” mynah birding something that they heard?
I dunno.

Speaking for myself since I quit cooking at 225f my cooks have had less issues and it’s just easier for me.
275f shaves off a lot of time too.
I run the first part of my cooks until I like the bark and color then I wrap until tender.
I’m also just fine with finishing off my bbq in the oven.

Good luck on your cook 👍.

After wrapping stick them in the oven if you want heat in the house, or the gasser if you want to keep it outside, as there is no benefit to wasting more time and charcoal as it will not absorb more smoke and way easier and less expensive way to finish them IMHO.

I agree with timothy.

Also to add about that 225 cooking temperature thing,
I could be wrong but I’m seeing that as out dated information.
Most all the videos on YouTube 5-6 or so years ago were preaching low and slow at 225f but I’m not sure why.
Is there a benefit to that temp or were the “experts” mynah birding something that they heard?
I dunno.

Speaking for myself since I quit cooking at 225f my cooks have had less issues and it’s just easier for me.
275f shaves off a lot of time too.
I run the first part of my cooks until I like the bark and color then I wrap until tender.
I’m also just fine with finishing off my bbq in the oven.

Good luck on your cook 👍.
i do around 225-245F on the WSK, with a water pan, and just cooked a 16# cook weight brisket in 8 hours 21 minutes.

i'm cooking at these lower temps until the brisket hits 171F and then wrap in paper and then crank up the WSK to 300-350F for the finish line cook.

these briskets are juicy and jiggly.

it's been a few years since i did a brisket on the WSM so I will not comment as my recollection isn't that strong to offer advice there.

the real question is, fat cap up or down? let the flame replies begin.

First and, for most, thank you to all who read and responded. My current thinking is, one brisket at a time. First brisket the smoker to 165° or so depending on bark. If bark is good, wrap in pink butcher paper and finish in the oven. Second brisket goes into the smoker. Then same as above. Remove second brisket start ribs and sausage. Salmon, daughter in law loves salmon, on the WSM 14. She loves salmon, we love her, she loves us. Oh and, she tolerates our son. Whatever she wants. 😉 😁😀 Keep on smokin.

First and, for most, thank you to all who read and responded. My current thinking is, one brisket at a time. First brisket the smoker to 165° or so depending on bark. If bark is good, wrap in pink butcher paper and finish in the oven. Second brisket goes into the smoker. Then same as above. Remove second brisket start ribs and sausage. Salmon, daughter in law loves salmon, on the WSM 14. She loves salmon, we love her, she loves us. Oh and, she tolerates our son. Whatever she wants. 😉 😁😀 Keep on smokin.

I foresee a lot of Red Bull in your future. What you are suggesting will take the most time and be the most foolproof (assuming you don't collapse and sleep through the cook.) You need to plan on reheating the first brisket, however, and that is a whole different set of questions.

But may I ask, do you have a friend with a WSM? Can you borrow it and do two simultaneous cooks? If not, I would not hesitate to cook two at once on the WSM, rotating once at about 150-160 IT on the top, especially if you are going to wrap. 275 air temp will be fine, I prefer 250 on brisket personally to allow more time for the fat to give up and turn to jelly -- but I am on old school apostle of LOW and SLOW.

With the added issue of the ribs, sausage, and salmon, I agree with Joe A -- definitely wrap and move them into the house to free up grate space. Your bark may suffer but your menu will definitely benefit! Good luck!

Last edited:
"
Mike wrote: "But may I ask, do you have a friend with a WSM? Can you borrow it and do two simultaneous cooks? If not, I would not hesitate to cook two at once on the WSM, rotating once at about 150-160 IT on the top, especially if you are going to wrap."

Mike, are you offering to lend me your WSM? 😀 Do you deliver? 😋

So, I thought about doing both simultaneously and, now, I'm thinking about it again. One on the top rack and one on the bottom but it seems like it could be difficult to swap and wrap two pieces of meat that size. More thoughts. Current plan is to start first brisket. Get some sleep. I have a wireless thermometer. Set it to 165 to wake me up. Should be about six hours. Wrap and put in the oven. Start second brisket. To back to sleep. Oh, and, wife/sous chef/helper is an early riser. Usually around 4-4:30 AM. Wow, all this planning is making my hair hurt.

"
Mike wrote: "But may I ask, do you have a friend with a WSM? Can you borrow it and do two simultaneous cooks? If not, I would not hesitate to cook two at once on the WSM, rotating once at about 150-160 IT on the top, especially if you are going to wrap."

Mike, are you offering to lend me your WSM? 😀 Do you deliver? 😋

So, I thought about doing both simultaneously and, now, I'm thinking about it again. One on the top rack and one on the bottom but it seems like it could be difficult to swap and wrap two pieces of meat that size. More thoughts. Current plan is to start first brisket. Get some sleep. I have a wireless thermometer. Set it to 165 to wake me up. Should be about six hours. Wrap and put in the oven. Start second brisket. To back to sleep. Oh, and, wife/sous chef/helper is an early riser. Usually around 4-4:30 AM. Wow, all this planning is making my hair hurt.

Oh I deliver, but my service charge is outrageous. You pay in smoked meat!

Back