Tuesday Brisket

For no other reason than I had it.

Two chunks of New England grass-fed brisket after 48 hrs sous vide (147F). Dusted with flaked salt and fresh black pepper ready to chill overnight.
dX3nJTItyf7RxJxv44saiBRDZMiDHrLRw2G5_p3K9WzLRBeyNFpjTuGSaLSaCTBdM6wvOu6R7Vpi=w2600-no

6 hours on the WSM18 @ 215F to an internal temp of 190F. 50/50 Apple and Hickory with natural lump charcoal.
C1MaoAkkcJFSEtGgMycoxdsMQp9RuGRnaB0BtMWoJAU5yf13M5wVYGu1VpmHauTf8nZ5ae1o5bJb=w2600-no

Sliced and ready to serve along side pickles, bread, bacon-beans and some cucumber salad.
QHe4TSIF3fwr9gyVmNVN-v4hV_U94efLgvyA3UazlVpYRKwYSulmridXMDvCoWorUdmvQY725be4=w2600-no

Good Lord! That plated picture looks awesome. How'd it taste and what was your impression on the texture after 48 hours sous vide?

That is some good looking brisket and a great smoke ring. Bark looks great to. Great cook.

Great looking brisket. I recently got an email from Anova with a 24hr Sous Vide brisket recipe that I've been thinking of trying.

Terrific looking brisket there, neighbor! Always cool to see meats from local area farms being expertly prepared.

Good Lord! That plated picture looks awesome. How'd it taste and what was your impression on the texture after 48 hours sous vide?

Thanks! Sous vide + 6hr smoke texture is dynamite. The slices "cut" apart with your fork on the plate or pull apart in your hands like they should. Just a little tug and it cleanly separates at the muscle fibers. Take a look at the slices at the back of the plated photo and you can see how loose the muslce fibers are. I also use sous vide to control the timing and collect aus jus. Doing it this way I can light the grill at lunch for a "normal" mid-week dinner.

Taste was great. The meat came from a local grass fed cow which is quite lean and has an extra earthy or less irony taste; but distinctly beef. I didn't want to cover that up with lots of rub, just S&P. Since I put the meat on the grill cold it had plenty of time to pickup smoke and develop bark. Sous vide also helps here since much of the water moisture is already out of the meat and the bark can set quickly.

I have not posted in a while but I continue with the tradition of cooking a Tuesday night brisket by lighting my BBQ at Tuesday lunch break, with prior sous vide. My most recent cooks have been 1/2 hot'n'fast and 1/2 low and slow with penty of smoke.
Full Texas brisket.
Sous vide at 155F 24 hrs, no seasonings. (start 7 pm sunday)
Dry rub (heavy) and chill uncovered overnight. (after dinner Monday)
BBQ at 350F until internal reaches 162F with wood of choice. (Tuesday lunch break meat starts on BBQ)
Cool pit to 225F for remainder of cook and internal reaches 196F. (Automatic pit profile control arround 3:30 pm switches 350F->225F)
Close/stop BBQ and wait for serving time with Brisket resting on BBQ rack. (pit goes off about 6pm)
We eat when we all get home about 6:30-7 pm.

JLAECu3PCe7xszgrFtZfrJRxyRr2j7m1FuuD2cqAkacngtw0VoEG4E4YulnVK3dbYsdOmP-T9UVUwvlL8rfqFQnn_SBmdwKhL16ra2kjmdKYjj5D36gbrZGE_OnR1Z8byTwHKGXASA=w1600

sPF4-2A9r1q8E03M_VTOsLfbs_yYXPVQY7t1kqvVFQF3woMGhdFM-thvIG3YLsm5daMCus47A7ZzNT74En52YZ5jjvbSKwrm2z5p1Lce3otkEcGeyhiRWZKkvr-CJCzOWWKR3MKIHg=w1600

2jCk9nVoMfYIWBG1hBWZdoSnEfAZKb5a074mCB_etyUfv7GagTHSxEpT581l2hCh322BBLE3fgUSzPTlfue7WSrSpXpA2VCCy7wVHOOHFUqoElAm5m5BAu3NQPvPXAXTTkB3gsD49Q=w1600

TX BBQ taste with texture like Mothers day Prime rib.

Last edited:

Back