Tri tip and pork loin.

Long Nguyen

TVWBB Member
So today I finally fired up my WSM and did 2 tri tips and 2 pork loins... Don't have much in pictures as I was not as organized as I thought... So here is what I have...

Picture of my Smoke thermometer showing the temp inside at 225. It stuck around 230 for most of the cook. I used the mini minion method to keep it low.

The tri tips were seasoned with salt, pepper garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Took it out at 130 after about 2 hours of cooking. I let it rest and then when ready to serve, I seared it on both sides in my lodge cast iron pan. This picture shows my wife's favorite.. Basically a southwestern trip tip salad with a BBQ sauced ranch dressing. It is a copy cat of the steak salad from Robin's BBQ in Pasadena my wife and I used to go to when we were young and dating.

Now my tri tip sandwich. Kind of a nod to the tri tip sandwich I would get from the Firestone Grill in San Luis Obispo.

Sorry no pictures of the pork loins... Mainly because the star of the show were the tri tips. I really wanted go do them with red oak, but I don't think the pork would have liked that per the advice of wise veterans of bbq. So I used apple and cherry as recommended.

Thanks everyone.... It was yummy. Went back for seconds... Almost 3rds. The toasted roll was key. After toasting I brushed it lightly with melted butter. I was supposed steep garlic in the butter, but I totally forgot.

I know people like to grill the tri tips on high heat.. But I agreed with Alton Brown that low heat will give it less grey and more yummy pink. A good rest, then a sear at the end gave it a slight crust on the outside. This will be my go to method for TT moving forward

Long that is some awesome cooks but that salad, I'm all over that one. Thanks for sharing.

Back